WTB `85 Riv Parts..speakers

1965rivgs

Hi Guys,

Chipping away at some of the more prominent annoyances of my winter beater `85 and am now addressing the rotted rear speakers. Looking for 2 4 x 10 concert sound speakers. These are dual cone speakers and are found in the rear package shelf and the rear quarters. Part number written on the speakers is 16040950. This number shows good at the GM dealer but no one has any stock. Thought someone might have upgraded their sound system and has these taking up space on a shelf. If you have these and would like to sell them please send me a PM. Thanks!

Tom Mooney

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

Tom,

Out of curiosity I entered your part number on website GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts. It actually came back as available at $29.36 per speaker assembly....was surprised they had them. I don't know what the shipping cost would be, but I was impressed by the price. You might want to check it out if you agree that the price is reasonable for new speakers.

Hi Ship,

One step ahead of you. I also went to their site and was encouraged to find the number still good. Apparently, GM used those speakers thru `94. Went to my GM dealer today and the counterman informed me that in spite of the fact the part number is "good" no one in the country has any stock including their vintage parts supplier. The number is actually discoed.

Anyone aware of a 4x10 8 ohm premium or extended range GM speaker which is still available? I know GM offered "premium coaxial" speakers in kits to upgrade from the dual cone concert sound speakers but that speaker number is also discoed. Probably take another trip to my dealer again tomorrow to do some research.

Thanks anyway Ship. Anyone have spares? Thanks,

Tom Mooney

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

I had the same problem finding replacements as Tom is. I would be satisfied if someone in the ROA who knew more about audio electronics could look at the specs then reccommend a speakers and amp or some componet to wire between the factory radios and modern replacement speakers so they would sound great! I had to use 4ohm and it was a rush job. Sounds okay but gets distorted quickly with some volume behind it!

I also wanted to reference a previous conversation thread from last year about this.

Cllick below

http://forums.aaca.org/f177/riv-speakers-305883.html

Edited by sosuzguy (see edit history)

Tom,

I have a couple sets of the speakers that will fit in the rear ¼ I found a couple sets of rear shelf speakers on E bay. I could not get the rear ¼ speakers to work in the shelf, there is a bracket welded to it and when I tried to cut it off the vibration from the dermel blew the thin paper out on the edge of the speaker. When that paper or maybe foam on the outside edge is gone then the speaker will sound blown.

Tom I will be happy to part with one set of rear ¼ speakers for you. But you have to promise not to call your 85 a “winter beater” that just tears at my heart………LOL

Hi Nathaniel,

Thanks for the link to the Fiero speakers. Unfortunately these are the standard single cone speakers. The originals I would like to replace are the upgraded Concert Sound variety which are an extended range dual cone speaker. Not trying to be picky but tunes are important in a driver! Also learning and collecting info/parts to upgrade the sound system on my `82 T.

This is a learning experience for me as I have never needed to work on the audio from this gen Riv so I am not familiar with the quarter speaker setup. I thought the standard 4x10`s would just bolt in? Or did you acquire speakers from some other application which had the brackets?

Sorry about the winter beater reference but it is what it is...never be a "keeper" due to undercarriage corrosion but it is such an honest, original car I did not have the heart to see it go to the crusher. So I am ironing out the glaring flaws and enjoying it as a driver. It is in such fine mechanical and original condition I would entertain combining it with a rust free but clapped out convert so the heart of the beast will live on! If it makes you feel any better the `85 is saving my `82 T-Type (still under 50K miles) from the ravages of a Chicago winter!

Can you send me pics of the 1/4 speakers you have? Still trying to determine if the Concert Sound upgrade included extended range speakers in the 1/4`s...I suspect only in the convertible but the proof is in the pudding....still mesmorizing my kids and their friends with that quip!

Thanks again for the link,

Tom

Tom,

I understand the under carriage corrosion. Next time you see Jayson ask him about cars from the north and watch his eyes pop out of his head LOL. I dont have your E mail can you send it to me and i will forward you a pic this afternoon i need to go to the barn and take one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Tom, Ed & Al,

I need a clarifiation on the size of speakers originally if any of you know. I have in my notes that the front door speakers are 4x6, rear seat 1/4 window concert speakers are 4x6 (I think this might actually be a 4x10) and the rear package tray speakers are 4x10. Anyone know for sure on the size of the speakers in the middle (Rear seat 1/4 window speakers)? Thank you.

Jason,

The rear quarter window speakers are the same size as the door speakers, 4" x 6" If I remember correctly, the front speakers in a 4 speaker car are more or less all purpose speakers. In a concert sound car, the fronts are a high range speaker, the quarter window speakers are mid range, and the 4 x 10's in the package tray are the same as those in a 4 speaker system.

I do know that you can't add concert sound quarter window speakers to a car that didn't come from the factory equipped for them. The hole for the quarter speakers isn't cut into the body.

Ed

Jason,

For the Concert Sound option 4 X6 in the front doors, 4 X10 in the rear quarters, 4 X 10 in the rear parcel shelf. The type of speaker varied from year to year. A few years ago I picked up a full complement of Delco Electronics catalogs covering many years at a swap meet and can provide specific info from each year from these catalogs if you need it.

Tom

Tom,

Per chance did the quarter window speaker size change as well. I pulled the entire "system" from a parts car once and the quarter window speakers were in insulated pods and they were 4 x 6 units. The only way I could tell them from the door speakers was by the part number painted on the magnet. I got sold that entire system a few years ago, when I found the the body on my car wouldn't take the quarter window speakers.

Ed

Ed,

At one point in my search for NOS speakers to replace my originals I jotted down all the speaker part numbers (from my Delco electronics manuals) from `79 to `85. I do not recall finding anything but 4X10`s in the rear quarter area in the catalogs. Not very familiar with the Bose system though...if that makes any difference in speaker size? I`m certainly no expert regarding sound systems or the `79 thru `80 cars so who knows??

Tom Mooney

All that I know is the car from which I pulled the radio, dash facia, and all six speakers, had four 4 x 6 speakers and two 4 x 10's. Different years could have had different parts.

Jayson, which car are you trying to put the sound system in? What was in there when you pulled the panels?

Ed

Tom,

I need your address to send these parts to you. I have 2 rear quarter speakers with mounting brackets and a complete wiring harness for the concert sound system ready to go.

All that I know is the car from which I pulled the radio, dash facia, and all six speakers, had four 4 x 6 speakers and two 4 x 10's. Different years could have had different parts.

Jayson, which car are you trying to put the sound system in? What was in there when you pulled the panels?

Ed

Guest wildcat465
Not very familiar with the Bose system though...if that makes any difference in speaker size?

The BOSE only had the speakers in the front doors and package shelf, nothing in the rear seat quarter panel, totally different wiring as well. The BOSE speakers are small, like 3 1/2" by 3 1/2", it's the housings and amplifiers that make them huge.

Ed

This is from an 85 with concert sound. I know BOSE is different. I'm just wondering what size the speakers were in the rear quarters. I'm doing some modernization with the Free Riv and am getting specs ready for the shop. I have no idea what size was in there when they were previously removed. I might have a set in my junk the attic but not sure.