1953 V8 spark plug covers

Leif Holmberg

There are 1953 V8 Spark plug cover on ebaymust be rare,1953 is a bit different than 1954 -1956.

I have sent him an E-mail but he don`t care.

Leif in Sweden.

<TABLE class=sp1 summary="Other item info" cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR><TD class=inf_lab vAlign=top width="1%" align=right>Item number:</TD><TD vAlign=top itemprop="productID">170777794875</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>1953 1954 1955 BUICK SPARK PLUG COVERS V8 NAILHEAD LH & RH RATROD | eBay

Bill,

You got your info somewhat sdrawkcab ssa. Only the 1953 covers have the wires exiting the rear of the spark plug wire covers.

Al Mack

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Sorry,

I thought the valve covers and the spark plug cover change happened at the same time. My wife told me that I'm not perfect, and I told her she was WRONG!!!!!!!

Bill

I love the way the '53 plug covers bring the wires to the back of the engine and then up to the distributor giving a full and unobstructed view of those beautiful V8 rocker covers that went away in mid '55. In fact I love them enough to be the current high bidder on these and hope the next time you see them they will be chrome and will be on my Texas Pete hot rod Special. :cool::)

Guest martylum

Hi-I'm restoring a 53 V-8 engine and the spark plug covers were in the trunk when I began working on the car's engine. Do the plug wires come out the bottom or top of the spark plug covers? The plug covers have original green paint on them applied directly to the bare steel. Surprisingly, the original green paint has held up quite well but maybe the covers were in the trunk for most of the car's life?

Thanks

Martin Lum

Leif,

In your previous post showing the Buick Parts Numbers for the spark plug covers, notice that the list indicates you need TWO of the same covers for the 1953 V-8 engines. They are slotted on each end and are not "handed" LEFT or RIGHT; therefore, will work on either side. All four spark plug wires on the passenger side exit at the rear end of the right cover.....and.....all four wires on the driver's side exit at the rear end of the left cover.

On 1954-1956 spark plug covers, there is a LEFT and there is a RIGHT. That's why there are two different parts numbers. You need one of each since the covers have only one slot at the top. Here again, four wires exit each spark plug cover at the rear of the engine.

If you look closely at the Ebay posting picture, you can see the slotted ends are at each end of the spark plug cover.....correct for 1953 V-8 engines only. Will they work on 1954-1956? Yes, but you may need longer wires. Are they factory correct for 1954-1956? No.

Al Mack

"500 Miles West of Flint"

1953mack,I know very well how 1954-1956 looks,becuse I have a 1956 Roadmaster Convertible as in the picture.But I have never seen covers for 1953,and they must be rare.I told the seller on ebay that his spark plug covers only was for 1953 Super-Roadmaster,but he`s still ignoring it.He had them as 1953-1954-1955 covers.Sorry for the bayer if he/she don`t know the differens.

Leif in Sweden.

post-31268-143138830252_thumb.jpg

post-31268-143138830261_thumb.jpg

The 1954 Product School Manual states "The spark plug covers are changed due to the routing of the secondary high tension wires". My question is why was the routing changed? Was there a "problem"?

Not only were the covers different but also too were the wire clips with the rubber grommet that hold the wires up off the rear of the engine. I am looking for a pair of them also in case anyone has a pair. Again I just like the way the 53's exited from the rear making for a cleaner look to the engine.

post-31987-143138830286_thumb.jpg