1925 Headlight Trim Rings

MikeC5

I was trying to decide what to do about some cracks in the trim rings and noticed that one of them I got on fleabay is a little bit different from the other two (which, I believe, are originals). I pretty sure the 1925 rings should look like the one on the right in this photo. The fleabay-sourced one is on the left and has a chamfer on the aft side. Otherwise it is same outer diameter and headlight opening diameter. Was this a normal production variation on DBs of this era or is it not a DB part? If anyone has an extra for a '25 they would be willing to sell, please let me know.

post-74074-143138824557_thumb.jpg

Mike

I was about to offer you the spare rim whch has been sitting in my shed for many years. I always thought it was the same as those on my 25 roadster. On retreiving it I discovered it had a chamfer at the rear. The ones on my car do not - and I know for sure they are the originals.

My theory is that the chamfer may suit the bowl-shaped headlights (1923 and earlier). However, If you wish to go non-original you are welcome to my spare to make up a pair.

Tony

Hi Mike

Photos attached. The first one is of my car. I am nearly sure that the earlier ring will fit the later headlight shell but you might like to check the one you have.

You will see in the other three photos that there are no cracks or substantial marks on the ring - it should replate very easily. PM me your address and I will send it gratis.

Cheers

Tony

post-44825-143138830585_thumb.jpg

post-44825-143138830619_thumb.jpg

post-44825-143138830651_thumb.jpg

post-44825-143138830684_thumb.jpg

Mike

I did most of the restoration, except the paint and trim (the bits you see). It took me thirty years due to interruptions from work, raising a family and a couple of part-time university degrees. Procrastination also played a large part in the delay.

These photos are from 1965, 1979 and 2009 - the bit in the midle is somewhat of a blank.

Cheers Tony

post-44825-143138832923_thumb.jpg

post-44825-143138832926_thumb.jpg

post-44825-143138832936_thumb.jpg

post-44825-143138832969_thumb.jpg

post-44825-143138833003_thumb.jpg

Looks like it was in pretty nice shape when you got it. I think you went about it the right way... Get the car early in life and take all the time you want to finish. At 52, I've got to accelerate the schedule a bit if I want to still be able to drive it when I'm done!

Tony, you must be well pleased with your restoration. I presume the Holden body threw up some typical problems. Having restored a 1930 Austin Swallow, which by definition is coachbuilt, I can understand why it took a while to do. Procrastination, they say, is the thief of time and I tackled it by doing something, no matter how small, every day. In the long term, I think much can be achieved but sometimes, even for a competent woodworker / mechanic, the task ahead can seem almost impossible. But there is something addictive and curiously theraputic about a restoration and once bitten by this particular bug.....you know what I mean !

Excellent job.

Ray.