32 DL

Guest 1930

Phil, not sure where that other post was and maybe better to start a new anyway.

Affective July 25, on special order new DL-6 cylinder cars will be equipped here at the factory with a high compression head increasing the compression to 6.35 for 3.50 list less usual car discount. Goes on to talk about dealers ordering extra stock, goes on to talk about having to use anti knock gasoline at a 71 rating ect.

I found this odd, I question why in the middle of worst sales ever Chrysler would decide to make this change.

I picked up a bunch of these 32ers a while back but found this one the most interesting.

Any thoughts Phil?

My scanners on the fritz temp. or I would have just posted it. I can get you a copy soon enough though no problem if wanted

Phil is yours a 217, when did this engine come into production and how long was it used without major modifications?

Your trans is a 3 or 4 speed?

What is the rear set-up please

Were all DL equipped with automatic clutch?

Trying to understand the DL a little better, thanks

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Sure, Jason, I'd be thrilled to read those "secret" documents you found on the 32s. Tell your scanner to get well soon! ;)

Here's a full set of specs from the 32 DL6 Owner's Manual. Mine are standard 217 ci engines. I'm not aware that a 4-speed tranny was an available option?

And, no, the automatic clutch gizmo was an option at around $10 extra. It functions with changes to the intake manifold vacuum. I have it on my later DL6 but I have it disconnected because it probably has never been rebuilt and so poses a vacuum lose risk, and it really isn't necessary at all. It shifts very smoothly without it even without double-clutching (but I usually do anyway).

I don't know when that basic engine was introduced (maybe John K. will chime in) but before the 32 and a while after. I DO know that there are MANY unique parts to the 32 series...especially the engines. Many are extremely hard to find. There were significant changes to the 33 series.

post-61720-143138822078_thumb.jpg

post-61720-143138822095_thumb.jpg

post-61720-143138822111_thumb.jpg

post-61720-143138822128_thumb.jpg

Hi Phil

Not sure what you mean by "secret " documents, there are not as many secrets as you may assume since many documents that I have found are available throughout the country in our open libraries and universities. All anyone has to do is make an effort ( sometimes more effort than other times ) to go looking for them and then pay a research fee to attain them in some cases, some cases its just a copy fee and in some cases they are just sent for free.

I would say almost 1/4 of any D.B literature that I have are photocopies of original literature that was donated to a library or university so that others might have their benefit in the future.

I said my scanner in on the fritz when in fact I just cant get to it right now. I have other things going on right now and it would take effort to move those things to get at a scanner. ( Don't worry Bill when your book arrives the drywall will not be able to get out of the way fast enough :) ) I was not willing to make that effort as I was tired last night from working and only stopped long enough to fulfill my promise to look into ( as I said the night before ) and post something so that you wouldn't feel as if I had forgotten you.

My scanner is on the fritz because its buried behind sheets of drywall, maybe that would have been a more honest response.

I could have and would have ..............I can get you a copy soon enough though no problem if wanted...........

No point in making a huge amount of effort if there is not a huge amount of interest. Its worth feeling out ( especially when I am looking for an excuse not to do something because I am tired ) before that effort is made, especially when one is tired.

As you can see by this post I am an early riser and that means I go to bed early so forgive me for not just assuming I should go above and beyond to make that effort.

I have taken a digital pict. ( which I did not think of last night ) and I am assuming you can read, I am able too, let me know if you cannot.

That said thanks so much for the automatic clutch info and the specs, I haven't viewed them yet but I am sure they will answer many questions and will hopefully give me the opportunity to help another D.B owner in the future should you not be available to answer the question yourself.

It would be nice to know more about your particular drive train such as manufacturing dates, dates of changes, changes made ect.

I don't believe ( no offense ) that John K would be any help on this since you are not going to find this particular detailed information within general knowledge books such as the Dodge Story or a hemmings catalogs and this sort of information might not have been John primary interest ( please correct me if I am wrong John ) all these years. Nothing wrong with that.

Even if the information were found within one of these catalogs I would questions its own source until I found a more reputable source or at the very least more than one piece that states same facts.

This sort of information will have to either come from thee source or from someone that has sat down and really studied the particulars of these vintage cars and has documentation himself to stand behind what he is putting to print.

Spend some time on the Internet ( as I am sure you have ) and look at all the discrepancies.

I would like to hear now your opinion of this bulletin, I like to understand the how and why's of things if you get my meaning.

It makes for interesting talk at the very least. Thanks again Phil

post-48869-143138822292_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1930
spelling (see edit history)

Jason...By "secret" I was responding light-heartedly to your previous comment "I came across some 32 confidential bulletins some time ago...."

I only mentioned that John might have a better perspective on when this version of the 6 came to be because he zeroes in on 31s, and Dodge carried over a lot of things from that year into the 32s...especially the late-31s.

And, no problem in my waiting until you get some time with your scanner...I've got a ton of things on my plate right now, too. By the way, that photo you posted is a bit too fuzzy for my aging eyes...even with my specs on.

I'm also thinking that, if that bulletin didn't get to dealers until the middle of July 1932, then probably not very many 32s got the new higher-compression heads. After all, the 33s were about to arrive.

Quote..........Jason...By "secret" I was responding light-heartedly to your previous comment "I came across some 32 confidential bulletins some time ago...."

I did not consider how you were responding other than some of the info can be tough to find so you got the full course on the where and the how I guess wether you needed it or not :D

quote.........I only mentioned that John might have a better perspective on when this version of the 6 came to be because he zeroes in on 31s, and Dodge carried over a lot of things from that year into the 32s...especially the late-31s.

Good thinking, hopefully he will have something to add although I dont think the two engines have a whole lot in common with one another, at least not when it comes to the details that I am looking for but lets see.

Quote.........I'm also thinking that, if that bulletin didn't get to dealers until the middle of July 1932, then probably not very many 32s got the new higher-compression heads. After all, the 33s were about to arrive

The bulletin goes on to mention that dealers should buy stock to put on autos prior to this change so you may find you own car has this style head.

If you double click on the photo it appears clear at least on my screen but I will try to remember to make a scan when I can and post it.

One other thing that I think you would find interesting that I am planning Phil ( or anyone reading this ) is to put together all of the bulletins labeled cooperation between dealers and post that information. It lists all the D.B and G.B vehicles that have been stolen by serial number and asks the dealers to watch out for these cars and trucks.

I have quite a list going and woudnt it be something if one of our cars ended up being on that list at some point

• 5 months later...
I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread! I have a 1932 DL rumble seat coupe that I want to restore, and any info on the DL's would be a great thing to have access to!

Got some pics inside & out you can post?

All models that year are rare, but I believe only around 1800 of the RS Coupes were made.

I've been meaning to get some photos of it. I'll have to take some this weekend if I get a chance and start a new thread for it. My goal is to bring it back to what it looked like new, but it needs quite a bit of work. My avatar shows the condition of the upper rad shell. It came out of the US. I think it was originally from Montana, then went to Pennsylvania. I think it has a DeSoto engine in it though. Anyhow, the vacuum clutch info is really helpful. I'll likely need some tips on proper colours and materials, etc.

Guest DP_3Window

I can account for no more than five 1932 DL cars in Australia & I own the partial remains of three of them.

I have also recovered a windscreen assembly & an owners manual from two others, however no other parts remained from either of them.

I have a sedan without any running gear, another chassis with two right side sedan doors & a Coupe.

The Coupe is also without any mechanicals & was converted to a Ute [Ranchero/ El Camino type vehicle] back in the war years.

This means that everything behind the cab is gone.

One other Coupe & Sedan are still on the road & both are Street Rods with 360 Chrysler engines. Both are also red.

As far as I can tell about eighty or so 1932 Dodge DL chassis [whole cars without body shells] were brought into Australa but we suffered in the depression much worse than the US & I suspect that the last of these were not sold untill mid/late 1933

I hope to eventually make one sedan from this pile of parts & like the others, it will be rodded.

Oh yeah, the original engine will have the prefix DL as part of the engine number.

At this time Dodge models had engine numbers that were prefixed with the model code letters & numbers always started at 1001

Edited by DP_3Window
Additional info (see edit history)

I've been meaning to get some photos of it. I'll have to take some this weekend if I get a chance and start a new thread for it. My goal is to bring it back to what it looked like new, but it needs quite a bit of work. My avatar shows the condition of the upper rad shell. It came out of the US. I think it was originally from Montana, then went to Pennsylvania. I think it has a DeSoto engine in it though. Anyhow, the vacuum clutch info is really helpful. I'll likely need some tips on proper colours and materials, etc.

If the rest of the car looks like the rad pict on your avatar I wouldnt touch the rest of the car but enjoy it as an original vehicle, too many of these cars are being restored and its just about impossible to not over-restore them as the data needed to recreate the original procedures used when building these cars is all but lost or locked away somewhere in someones file cabinet never to see the light of day by the guys that are actually owning these cars.

Someday there just will not be any more original examples to admire.

I can help on some of the info but guys like Phil, Vergil and a few others that own these cars are going to maybe be your biggest help.

I have prob. your correct paint info anyway if one of these other guys does not have it as I have in my collection many of the service paint bulletins released for your car.

I have prob. your correct paint info anyway if one of these other guys does not have it as I have in my collection many of the service paint bulletins released for your car.

I have a set of original paint chips for the '32 series and, I believe, info on which colors (stripes, too) were used on which models.

I have a set of original paint chips for the '32 series and, I believe, info on which colors (stripes, too) were used on which models.

I guess ID have to look into Phil but dosent he have to get his body code from his build sheet and then we can translate that? Regardless love to see what you have

... dosent he have to get his body code from his build sheet and then we can translate that? Regardless love to see what you have

Safest way would be to obtain the build code, but maybe the original color is showing enough to tell.

Here's a color chart of the '32 colors, plus a color scheme chart. I also have color chips with the mixing formulas on the back.

post-61720-143139098913_thumb.jpg

post-61720-143139098917_thumb.jpg

I guess I would have to contact Chrysler Historical for the build code? It's a 5-passenger coupe and it looks like it was originally green.

Also, see my post for photos, etc:

http://forums.aaca.org/f143/my-1932-dodge-dl-project-332427.html#post1058612

Contact them for your build card, its only a few dollars and well worth the money, it will have information within it that will help decipher paint, interior, original engine # ect.

Safest way would be to obtain the build code, but maybe the original color is showing enough to tell.

Here's a color chart of the '32 colors, plus a color scheme chart. I also have color chips with the mixing formulas on the back.

Yes, thanks Phil, I have this same Dupont color sheet including the first page if that might ever help, the autocolor library sheet might not be the best source for info though

The Dupont sheet on the Dupont historical archive site seems like it's the second page to the chip sheet shown above in Phil's post (it lists a Limousine Blue #2, among the 7 colors listed).

I believe that is an 8 cylinder car color.

I guess ID have to look into Phil but dosent he have to get his body code from his build sheet and then we can translate that? Regardless love to see what you have

Have you Dodge folk got translations for the three digit paint code on the build card to paint names and/or IM codes found on the Ditzler and/or DuPont color chip sheets for 1932?

It seems that information on the Plymouth side stops at 1934. For 1933 and earlier cars Chrysler Historical can't decode the number and there appears to be no non-Chrysler source for that information.

Have you Dodge folk got translations for the three digit paint code on the build card to paint names and/or IM codes found on the Ditzler and/or DuPont color chip sheets for 1932?

It seems that information on the Plymouth side stops at 1934. For 1933 and earlier cars Chrysler Historical can't decode the number and there appears to be no non-Chrysler source for that information.

In many if not most cases its not that they cant decipher but rather their staff does not have the time to make to file their documents in a way that they are more accessible to themselves nor do they appear to have anyone that strictly studies early Dodge and would have some of these answers at their fingertips.

The codes can be deciphered using D.B/Plymouth/Chrysler bulletins that were issued at the time the cars were being produced. One only has to collect the bulletins to decipher the codes

These Dupont sheets even are not the rudimentary source so therefore are in most cases just a piece to the puzzle and can once again contain incomplete or inaccurate information.