Parts Source for 1969 300 convertible

In many cases, some Chrysler parts only lasted through the original vehicle's warranty-obligation period. In other cases, they exercised the "10 Year Rule" religiously back then. This makes checking with the dealer a verrrryyyyy long shot, for anything other than possibly an original part number (IF they still have the old paper books hidden somewhere!).

BUT . . . you can find OEM Chrysler parts and service books at

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information They have downloadable parts books to cover your vehicle, plus possibly a '69 C-body Chrysler service manual. In the back of the Online Imperial Club, they have archived all of the Chrysler Tech Training books/filmstrips up to about '74. I don't recall a convertible-specific book, but you might look there, too. From what I've seen, the wiring diagrams and how to work on the convertible mechanism is in the normal service manual.

This gets you part of the way "there" . . . for the rest, you'll need to get a copy or Mopar Action or Mopar Muscle magazine at the newsstand. Usually, every Mopar vendor that's got anything advertises in these magazines. Possibly, too, in Mopar Collectors Guide.

Be aware, too, that Chrysler didn't build more than about 3000 convertibles in any model year, back then, across ALL of their model lines. This means two things . . . low chance of finding an inexpensive NOS switch, if at all, or that some vendor.

From the '69 Chrysler parts book . . . 2864489 for Chrysler and 2864491 for Plymouth and Dodge C-body cars. This is for "Switch". "Knob" part number is 2947463 for Chrysler. These are found on "Text Page 23-81" in the parts listing section of the parts book. The SAME part number switch was also used on '69 Coronets with the Rallye Instrument Cluster and also in the '70 Coronets and Satellites, which can make them more expensive due to the "muscle car" association, BUT also tend to make them a little more "available". But with a different knob on the intermediate-size cars.

What the part numbers indicate is that the basic switch was first used on Chryslers in the 1968 model year, but the knob part number was first used in the 1969 model year . . . when the bodies changed.

For the service manuals and such, click on My Mopar Tools/Reference. Wiring diagrams plus the full service manuals for download. There is a 1971 Dodge service manual, which should be the full-line manual for all 1971 Dodge cars. The wiring harness diagrams will be in there. What's listed in the MyMopar wiring harness diagrams does not include the specific convertible top wiring, BUT many other things you might be interested in. Prepare to click the "+" button on the .pdf tool bar to enlarge the screen! Or print it off and find some magnifying glasses . . . even in the real manual, it might take some scrutiny to correctly follow the lines across the manual's center spine area, from one page to another, BUT it can be done.

There is a specific area in the '71 service manual for convertible . . . Section 8. No wiring as such, but plenty of illustrations and diagnostics! You'll be concerned with "Polara/Monaco" as those are the Dodge C-body cars.

LOTS of neat stuff in the MyMopar.com website!

Those 300 Convertibles were some of the best looking 300s ever built! In addition to their rarity and great lines, 1969 was the ONLY year for the ignition switch being "on the Ford side of the steering wheel", rather than on the rh side (1968 and prior) or on the steering column (1970 and later). Ford was unique for having their ignition switches on the lh side of the steering wheel. I'm not sure why Chrysler chose that for 1969, unless they had other things already planned for that area in the later years of that instrument panel design.

Hopefully this will get you where you need to be!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

NTX, thanks for all the great information.

I'm lucky in that the top still works fine. However, the switch and/or relay apparently has a short that drains the battery. So, I have to pull the relay to avoid running down the battery. I can still put the relay back in and pop the top up.

Thanks again,

Bryce