shock for 1964 rivi

Guest frenchyo

They're okay, but you don't say how you plan on driving your car or if it's been lowered. Monroe makes specific shocks for both the front and the back of the 63 - 65 Riviera and you can get them at your corner jobber - NAPA, Autozone, Pep Boys, Advance, O'Reilly, Car Quest, etc. and they're probably about half the price.

I've got Monroe Sensa-Tracs on my '64 and like them just fine.

http://www.monroe.com/catalog/e-Catalog

Monroe show separate listings for shocks for the 63 - 65 Riviera and the 66-70 Riviera. You need to ask yourself "Why does one company show two separate applications, and the other company show one application for a larger range of years. Is the one application a universal item or a made to fit item?"

The Monroe site has all the dimensions for each shock. Compare each to the same KYB and see what you find. Something is different somewhere.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

It depends on how long the shock is to begin with. If the shock is original length, and it has a certain amount of built in travel, you might bottom out the shock before you fully compress the spring. That would ruin the shock.

You need to take some measurements, then go to either the internet or a jobber and look through the specs of each shock to see if it will give you the travel you need before bottoming out or fully extending during travel. You don't want to be driving on a shock that you've bottomed out and doesn't work any more.

You know how much your car has been lowered and what the spring travel is. You need to do the research to find out what will work. From whom did you get the lowering springs? What did they tell you? What KYB says will fit a '64 Riviera they also say will fit a 67 Buick Special (how many pounds lighter?) and a 79 Volvo???

Ed

PS When I went to the KYB website and entered 1964 Buick Riviera, their catalog showed different part numbers than the ad on ebay shows. KYB does NOT show a listing for a rear shock for the '64 Riviera.

They make a shock with the right dimensions except they don't have the right eyelet size to use the factory bolts. I've got a set (would have to pull the part numbers) but I'll need to get some tube spacer to make them work.

Ed,

do the Monroes require modification of the lower attach bars? The KYB's did.

The Monroes are designed as a direct replacement. No mods to anything; they bolt right in. They fit like OE parts.

If you look at the Monroe website and check applications, you'll see that the monroe 5759 (front) fits the following: (sorry about the font, it's what happens when you copy and paste.

<TABLE id=treeViewMakes border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height="100%" vAlign=top width=16></TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width=1></TD><TD>Buick</TD><TD noWrap align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD id=treeViewMakes*9770 vAlign=top colSpan=2><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(/catalogPart/config/treeLine.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-y" height="100%" vAlign=top width=16>treeNodeOpen.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width=1></TD><TD>Invicta <TABLE id=treeViewMakes border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height="100%" vAlign=top width=16></TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width=1></TD><TD>Buick</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD><TD noWrap align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD id=treeViewMakes*9770*171693 vAlign=top colSpan=2><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height="100%" vAlign=top width=16>treeItemLast.gif</TD><TD width=1></TD><TD>1961 - 1963 Front</TD><TD noWrap align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(/catalogPart/config/treeLine.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-y" height="100%" vAlign=top width=16>treeNodeOpen.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width=1></TD><TD>LeSabretreeNodeOpenLast.gif</TD><TD noWrap align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD id=treeViewMakes*9770*171083 vAlign=top colSpan=2><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height="100%" vAlign=top width=16>treeItemLast.gif</TD><TD width=1></TD><TD>1961 - 1964 Front</TD><TD noWrap align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(/catalogPart/config/treeLine.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-y" height="100%" vAlign=top width=16>treeNodeOpen.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width=1></TD><TD>Riviera</TD><TD noWrap align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD id=treeViewMakes*9770*171088 vAlign=top colSpan=2><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height="100%" vAlign=top width=16></TD><TD width=1></TD><TD>1963 - 1965 FrontreeItemLast.gift</TD><TD noWrap align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD height="100%" vAlign=top width=16>treeNodeOpenLast.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width=1></TD><TD>Wildcat</TD><TD noWrap align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD id=treeViewMakes*9770*171694 vAlign=top colSpan=2><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height="100%" vAlign=top width=16>treeItemLast.gif</TD><TD width=1></TD><TD>1964 - 1964 Front

</TD><TD noWrap align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><IFRAME style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 0px; HEIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: 0px" id=treeFrame src="/catalogPart/treeview.do?iframe=iframe" name=treeFrame></IFRAME>The 5760 (rear) shows applications for :

<TABLE id=treeViewMakes border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height="100%" vAlign=top width=16>treeNodeOpenLast.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width=1></TD><TD>Buick</TD><TD noWrap align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD id=treeViewMakes*9770 vAlign=top colSpan=2><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(/catalogPart/config/treeLine.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-y" height="100%" vAlign=top width=16>treeNodeOpen.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width=1></TD><TD>Invicta</TD><TD noWrap align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD id=treeViewMakes*9770*171693 vAlign=top colSpan=2><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height="100%" vAlign=top width=16>treeItemLast.gif</TD><TD width=1></TD><TD>1961 - 1963 Rear</TD><TD noWrap align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(/catalogPart/config/treeLine.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-y" height="100%" vAlign=top width=16>treeNodeOpen.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width=1></TD><TD>LeSabre</TD><TD noWrap align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD id=treeViewMakes*9770*171083 vAlign=top colSpan=2><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height="100%" vAlign=top width=16>treeItemLast.gif</TD><TD width=1></TD><TD>1961 - 1964 Rear</TD><TD noWrap align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(/catalogPart/config/treeLine.gif); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-y" height="100%" vAlign=top width=16>treeNodeOpen.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width=1></TD><TD>Riviera</TD><TD noWrap align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD id=treeViewMakes*9770*171088 vAlign=top colSpan=2><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height="100%" vAlign=top width=16>treeItemLast.gif</TD><TD width=1></TD><TD>1963 - 1965 Rear

</TD><TD noWrap align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD height="100%" vAlign=top width=16>treeNodeOpenLast.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width=1></TD><TD>Wildcat</TD><TD noWrap align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD id=treeViewMakes*9770*171694 vAlign=top colSpan=2><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height="100%" vAlign=top width=16>treeItemLast.gif</TD><TD width=1></TD><TD>1964 - 1964 Rear</TD><TD noWrap align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><IFRAME style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 0px; HEIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: 0px" id=treeFrame src="/catalogPart/treeview.do?iframe=iframe" name=treeFrame></IFRAME>

Don't let the Invicta / Wildcat applications fool you. They're the same car, just a new name in '64; the more powerful engine on the LeSabre chassis.

I bought a pair of KYB's for my 65 Riv and to make them fit you would have to file out the area of the shock where the bottom mounting bolts go through. I then would have had to put washers on the mounting bolts to make sure they stayed in place because the center of the bolt was at the end of the mounting bracket. I emailed KYB's Tech Support and got a reply that they would have to be modified and it is what it is. Also, operating the KYB shocks by hand, they were very weak and not a whole lot better then the worn out shocks that I took off. Bottom line, go Monroe.

I agree with Ed and Don. I tried to fit some KYB in the front and quickly figured out that mods were going to be required. I sent them back and put on a full set of the Monroe's. The car rides nice and smooth. I am not tracking it or anything, so I do not need a performance shock. I need a ride shock.