Gas tank test?

rj27buick

Got my 27 running this past weekend. :) used a temporary gas tank from a lawn mower to make sure I had clean gas to the carb. When I bought the car it had been sitting for at least 7 years ( last registration) but don't know how long gas has been in the tank. Gauge at tank shows 1/4 full? How do I test and/or clean the gas tank to ensure it is ok?

I`m quite sure you have some car rust protektion shops in N.Y.If you empty your gas tank they can put a camera inside and look for rust or other deposites on a wiewing screen,but the problem is to move the car to the shop without gasoline?.

Leif in Sweden.

I used Drano drain cleaner crystals & pea gravel in hot water to clean a 29 Buick tank.

Remove & drain the tank, add two gallons of hot water, a quart of pea gravel, and a whole can of Drano.

Seal all the openings and put on some rock and roll music while you agitate the mix to cover and scrape all areas of the tank.

Drain, rinse, and leave in the sun with all openings open and/or use a hair dryer to help dry it out.

Then inspect with a mirror to see if you need to repeat.

rj27,

I did the Mark Shaw method, but I used 2 cans of CLR and pea gravel, shook the heck out of it, then took it to the car wash and "steamed" it out w/ the wheel cleaning cycle, brought it home and rinsed the heck out of it w/ the garden hose. Let dry for two days in the sun, then painted the outside satin black w/ rustoleum.

So far the BIG clear filter we added @ the tank shows no deposits breaking loose.

Mike in Colorado

There should be drain fitting on the bottom of the tank. I would drain the fuel (outside in a big bucket) and then check to see what came out. Smell the gas, if it smells like old varnish then you know that the gas was bad. It will also be a burnt umber color, almost like your favorite cola soft drink. I would expect that some debris will also come out, if it is just a little then I would just pour in fresh gas and go. Do you have a filter after your vacuum tank? If not, I would put one on. I would use a temporary "see thru" plastic filter to see what debris, if any, it catches.