Part Number help

MikeC5

I'm looking at buying some NOS tappet screws and the seller claims they fit 1924-1960 Dodge flat head motors. The part number is 681544 (see photo). However, the photo of the screw looks different that what I have in my 1925 motor. Mine look just like a regular hex head bolt with the head a little shorter than normal. Can anyone check and see if the above part number is listed for a 1925?

post-74074-143138816974_thumb.jpg

post-74074-143138816974_thumb.jpg

i found this Screw, Adjusting, Valve Tappet Material: Steel

Metallic Hardness Rating: 36.0 minimum rockwell C and 42.0 maximum rockwell C

Overall Length: 1.183 inches nominal

Thanks very much guys. You saved me $60! Has anyone had any luck having the top face on these reground? Mine have wear depressions from the valve stem making it hard to set clearances. I'm guessing these are case hardened and so the hard layer is only so thick. That's a nice diagram Bill; is it from the parts list document? If so, I'll have to invest in one of those...

The seller was close to the correct years. That part number started in 1928 and went until at lease 1954 (that is when my parts book was printed). That part does fit Chrysler 6 cyl back to 1924.

Edited by hwellens
added data (see edit history)

The diagram is from the 9th edition master parts book. As far as regrinding there probably is not a problem in doing so. BUT! you are correct on the hardness. Have your nearest roll grind shop check it with a hardness tester before you grind. After the grind check it again. Your local shop could send them out to be re-hardened if necessary.

If you need more engine diagrams Mike just give me a holler......

Bill