blend door actuator

Guest Recian

I thank ronnie for his site's resources. My blend door hasnt been working so i went to his site and found out about the blend door rod. My car stays on all time hot no matter what. I took the glove box out and pulled off that rod and actuated my blend door and got it to cold but the actuator motor (on right side of dash where the rod's adjustor sits) cannot be moved and doesnt move with inputs. Can't even move it by hand. She's stuck. Anyone ever replaced one of those? It looks heavily tucked in under the dash and behind a big wiring harness.

You pull the programmer from the bottom like an ECM. Vaccuum hoses come off together. One electrical connector. Two torx head screws AFAIR. Remove the rod first.

I just had a servo motor seize so replaced the whole programmer and got one from Jim.

• 1 year later...
Guest 1988 Reatta

I am actually having the same or similar in that I just had the ac recharged (and of course changed over from the old refrigerant) everything is working as it should in the engine side as the compressor kicks on however all I get is warm air and the mechanic suspects the blend door. Any help I can get on the repair and location would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all:confused:

Guest Mc_Reatta

Also can check diagnostics and look for trouble code B440 if mix door is not responding to BCM commands. Operation can be viewed while looking in thru removed glove box access and climate control is switched from max cool to max heat and back. Can see if the rod gets stuck at one end or the other or it doesn't move at all.

Also can look at BCM Data on the CRT to see commanded position of the door (BD22) and its actual position (BD23).

The GM part number for the programmer is 16137740 and was used from 1989 to 1991 in the Reatta and till 1993 in the Riviera. The same number was used on Eldorado and Seville from 1989 until ? The motor was available as a separate replacement, the part number is 16050729 and first appeared in 1986 on the Riviera and Cadillacs.

I suspect this programmer is common on many GM cars of the same period.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)