Rebuilding 1947 Tail lights

Bill Stoneberg

As part of rewiring my car, I need to fix the sockets in my taillights. I hate to replace the sockets with the cheap plastic that is available now. This is on my 1947 Buick Super.

I have enclosed a picture of what needs repair, does anyone have an idea on how I can replace the wires on this ? The socket contacts push in but seemed to be locked from coming out so I just don't want to cut the wires and pull or un solder them.

Any suggestions are welcome..

post-30710-143138785196_thumb.jpg

Bill, I Did cut the wire on My '50. then soldered on new wire and covered with shrink tubing. If I remember correctly, I cut abour 3 inches from the socket. Removed all insulation up to the contacts. Well, really, it almost just fell off! One key is to use as small of shrink tubing as possible so it will fit into the springs.

Ben

Another option is to check with Harnesses Unlimited to see if they will sell you new sockets that are not the plastic cheapies. Another option is to cut the old wire a few inches from the socket, then buy from them the brass tips that are hollow and then you splice new correct color coded wire to the existing wire, push the new wire ends into the socket, and then solder the new brass tips on the new wire. The first option is easier and requires less skill and their sockets are good quality. Solder the new sockets to the existing wire and cover with shrink tubing.

Good luck.

Joe, BCA 33493

I have replaced the wire by unsoldering the ends and soldering on fresh wire. This is standard radio electronics repair stuff. To make it easier you can buy a braid that sucks the melted solder out of the joint or a suction device that does the same. But really all you need to do is cut off the wire and pull it out, melt the solder pull off the brass end, clean off the molten solder and solder on a new wire.

Guest De Soto Frank

I have rebuilt a couple dozen older sockets by the above methods...

Usually turns-out better than repro / replacement stuff, as the original socket shells and components are made from heavier, better-formed metals...