'90 headlight switch.

Jim

I have available some tested good used headlight switches for your '90 Reatta.

I also have tested good used '91 switches available.

The headlight switches for the '90 Reattas are one of a kind as the '91 Reattas used a slightly different switch with no fog button and instead a twilight sentinel feature.

The earlier Reattas had a very complicated arrangement of sliders and contacts but these switches are a pretty simple arrangement of just a few contacts. They are easily repairable because they are a simply switch but you do need to know where all the parts fit together and very often when the switch assemblies come apart some of the small parts get lost.

There is no need to pay high prices for a replacement as I sell these switches for $ 65 exchange. I also have some available that have never been disassembled.

I have tested good '91 switches with the twilight sentinel for $ 60 outright. Most of my '91 switches have not been disassembled unless it was to put on a nicer looking "lights" button.

I disassemble the switches, clean or replace any worn parts and then reassemble the switch with nice looking buttons.

I then test the switch in my personal car and guarantee them to be in good working condition.

post-30613-143138779856_thumb.jpg

post-30613-143138779864_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

The other day I did a count and now have 8 switches that I have disassembled, cleaned and replaced any bad parts and reassembled with a nice looking "lights" button. I then completely tested them in my personal Reatta.

I also have 8 '90 switches that have never been opened up available.

Jim, that salvage yard that I bought two 1990 switches from called me back and said that one was no good and he would change my billing and send it no charge. I am sending that one on to you as I have no need for it as a token of appreciation of your affordable pricing and interest in helping others.

Thanks Jim!

Take your time Jim take your time. I don't even own a '90 yet. As a matter of fact at this time not even planing on owning one, just want to have the rare parts so I am not taken when/if I ever do need one...

Besides I can always sell them later should I determine that a '90 is not in my future. [i still think the '89 is the best year, followed by the '91].

So I end up with 2 switches for less then $100.00 [delivered] and can sell them at todays prices for about $150.00 each. Not bad for an hours work on my computer shopping at Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market.

"Shop Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market or your local U-Pick and cut out the middle man" sounds pretty catchy, I just may put that on my signature line...

Guest WEB 38

Jim There is a 89 riviera at our local yard it has the light switch intact, Will it fit any of the reattas? Thanks Bill

Jim There is a 89 riviera at our local yard it has the light switch intact, Will it fit any of the reattas? Thanks Bill

It will fit 88 and 89 Reattas. Shoot me a PM. I'm interested if you can pick it up. I'm also interested in other parts from the Riv.

The headlight switch in the '88-89 Reattas is the same in the Rivieras.

The problem though is they rarely are good. I have also mentioned in the past that I do recommend folks buy parts off Ebay if they can get a good deal but not to by '88-89 headlight switches.

The '88-89 switches are a very complex arrangement of sliders and contacts and even some hidden contacts. Simply 15 year old original switches will most likely have problems with the dimming of the lights, shutting the lights off and lighting of all the background lights on the dash and console. These problems all come from a bad headlight switch.

I probably have 30-40 of those switches now and I don't even buy them even for $ 5 in the pick and pulls anymore.

I do repair these '88-89 switches also along with the newer ones and always have a good supply of tested good ones available.

Interesting Jim about the '88/89 headlight switches. I don't buy as many as you do, [never from ebay] but from the U Pick I go to I have only had about a 15% failure rate [although all I get is Rivs as I don't see too many Reattas]. But what I do, is take a car blanket and my portable power station and power up the car, make it as dark as possible and see if it illuminates. If it does that and the lights go on and off I'm done and grab the switch. At the same time it allows me to power up the IPC and I am good.

At $15.00 for both why wouldn't I? [Going rate is $5.00 a switch and $10.00 an IPC]

Out of the clear blue, Friday, without any prior knowledge by me, I received this email.

Thank you Neil.

Jim: it has been over a year and a half since you rebuilt my headlight switch. It has worked perfectly, and I just wanted to thank you again, for your great service.

Neil XXXX