Door skin adhesive

Guest REX STALLION

Guest REX STALLION

So, it`s almost time to put my door skin back on. What type of adhesive/ mastic have you folks used? The original set up hard.

If your referring to a first gen, I didn't think they used adhesive on door skins, just the nuts, and t-bolts. I know door panels were glued to the door frame originally. Are you referring to that? If so, 3M Super 77 does a good job.

Guest REX STALLION

Okay, let me clarify, I am talking about a 1964 Riviera. the outer door skin that is attached with acorn nuts and T bolts there is a mastic,sealer that you use between the outer door skin and the door . What have others used when reattaching the skin ?

Guest REX STALLION

Hmmm...perhaps the skin was removed to service the power window or something else inside.It`s there,I know, I removed the stuff with a die grinder. Curious stuff... The Body Service manual notes that the gap between the inner door and the skin shall not exceed 1/32 but says nothing of the goo. I have long suspected collision damage to that side of the car so it makes sense that a technician could have put goo around the perimeter to hold the little T nuts in place while he reassembled the door. Ahh the pleasures of old cars!

Edited by REX STALLION (see edit history)

The only mastic in that area is in the slots where the T-Bolts go . I use it to hold in the T-Bolts when hanging the skins . I use 3M strip calk . There is nothing around the door skin itself . Dont seal the slot - just put it at the opening of the slot so the T Bolt can move around a bit for alignment .

Guest REX STALLION
The only mastic in that area is in the slots where the T-Bolts go . I use it to hold in the T-Bolts when hanging the skins . I use 3M strip calk . There is nothing around the door skin itself . Dont seal the slot - just put it at the opening of the slot so the T Bolt can move around a bit for alignment .

Thanks! I will do just as you mentioned! I guess the last fellow thought if a little is good, a lot must be better:D