Reatta Antenna Motor Won't Stop Running

redreattaruss

Hello everyone. Long time no talk. I'm Russ, son of Barney's side kick, the late technical director Arthur. Took my Reatta (guess which color?) out today for a spin and when the radio was turned off and the ignition turned off, the antenna stayed up and the antenna motor kept running. I could gently push the mast down and upon full travel down the motor stopped. When the radio was turned on, the mast went up and the motor stopped properly. But going down it keeps running. I have a bunch of used and NOS antennas but was wondering what is wrong with mine.

As a side note, my father and I have about $10K of NOS Reatta parts we purchased twelve years ago. Lots of early hub caps (about 50), door pull covers, license and back up light lenses, NOS front bumper bar, NOS rear B-U-I-C-K lens, grilles, and every part from several Reattas I disassembled. This summer I will be selling Arts 1990 red vert with 50K miles in mint condition. PM if interested in parts or the car. I'll contact this forum before I eBay the car and parts.

I'm keeping Art's '91 green with 19K miles, my '89 red and am driving Art's white '88. The red and white Reatta's get 30 MPG on the freeway.

Thanks for your help. :)

Russ.... good to hear from you.

Don't know if you are still a member of the Reatta Div but I just wrote a new repair procedure for rebuilding the antenna which was in the latest news letter.

You can stop the motor from running by pulling either connector at the relay mounted on the antenna mast (under the fender)

Guest Mc_Reatta

Welcome back Russ!

Unless your talking about a Polo Green convertible, we don't give a darn what color car your driving! :rolleyes: (Sorry if that's too much of an inside joke for you to understand at the moment.)

You are the perfect example of why the forum would not benefit from limiting the selling of items from folks who don't have a goodly amount of posts to their name before being allowed to do so.

Looks like your question has been well answered already so I'll just look forward to your future efforts to sell some Reattas and associated parts to us.

I would have to agree with your choice of an 89 as your personal car from that stable of available Reattas.

Barney, I hope you see fit to share that antenna repair procedure with Ronnie for inclusion on his site as well if you haven't already.

About a 10 minute job if you have a tool to unscrew the top cap (can do with a small bent needle nose if carefull not to slip). That done: relay connector, antenna connector, two screws and it's off. Only caveat is that you unplug the antenna wire about 6" from the body and not from the antenna itself.