1937 Imperial Town Car to be Sold

The '37 Imperial LeBaron Town Car, originally built for W.P. Chrysler's daughter, is finally for sale at New York's

Vanderbilt Museum on Long Island. Here is the prospectus for its disposition. Due to less-than-ideal storage,

the car has deteriorated considerably since I photograped it in the museum's courtyard, circa 1986,

but it's still a very important Classic worthy of restoration.

The Chrysler Museum has confirmed that the car was built for WPC's daughter and not his wife,

as I had originally posted.

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster
Grammatical error (see edit history)

That's a shame. "Due to less than ideal storage" should be replaced by "Inept board of directors".

The first thing that came to mind was my idea of donating my modest, but large, personal collection of automotive books to our local library. It seemed like a good idea to share the Knowledge and expose them to young people. Until I found that most would be "weeded" and put into the annual 25 cent Book Sale.

I'm sure Harry Gilbert, the original donor, would be quite unhappy.

Bernie

Anyone that donates anything to a museum should be aware that it could be sold at anytime unless the donation stipulates otherwise. AND, if there are restrictions put on the donation, the museum may decide to pass in the first place. Most museums are not money makers and selling off extra inventory is a way to survive.

Although we probable won't know, it would be interesting to know how much this car brings. Very attractive if you ignore the nose.

I agree, this is a shame. The museum obviously had little appreciation for what the car was, and delegated it to awful storage conditions.

Interesting to read the method of disposal. First, you have to make a bid in excess of $125,000. Then, if they deem you "qualified" to make such a bid, everyone who made a bid will be put in a room, and it will be discussed who gets the car.

So, opinions, is it worth the $125K as is? What do you think a restored value would be?

Love it. LMAO about "the nose" being the only bad part. I noted the one old photo that shows the car in the courtyard is a rear quarter shot. :P

I have a question: Is this a CCCA full classic? I would assume YES but there is no specific mention that I could find in reading the prospectus.

This is an awesome car, period. If you are among the kind of person that can afford this car, why would you not want to be the one to restore it to pristine show circuit, Pebble Beach qualifying condition? (I'm talking Jay Leno / Ralph Lauren kind fo money)

There just are not that many classic era "barn finds" left.