how shiny is the sweep spear supposed to be.

Guest sintid58

Guest sintid58

The 55 is nearly ready for paint and most of the chrome has been redone and I saw pictures of the stainless that smartin has redone now I am wondering if I should have redone the sweep spear. It is nice and straight and looked good before but I guess I am wondering if it will look dull when we are done.

Edited by sintid58 (see edit history)

I am not familiar with 55's, but the 50-53's have their sweep spears made of stainless steel, which polishes up to a gorgeous shine, and will last a long time.

I would think yours are stainless too.

Polishing them should be a lot less money than if you had to plate them.

I suggest doing it before you install them and have second thoughts later.

Let me know what you decide, Mike

Guest sintid58

I had smartin (Adam Martin) repair and shine my stainless from around the windsheilds and I am going to take my sweep spears to him also. Thanks.

I had a shop in the LA, CA area for about 12 years, repairing & polishing stainless, and it was so rewarding...it, stainless, responds so very well!

I am too old to do very much polishing now (although, I still have the equipment!!), it is quite intensive, requiring a lot of stamina, but so very rewarding to see the results.

Glad you opted to do it, and so very glad you had someone to send it to!!

He should be getting a lot of enjoyment from making your stainless shine!!

For him...and for you!!

But, for you longer!! Cheers, Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The chrome layer was done to hold the shine. Remember it was not originally actually polished, but manufactured from processed shiny stainless sheets.

If you strip the chrome off, then polish the stainless, it will last a very long time, probably longer than the chromed method.

Polishing the surface closes any pores or flaws, which is why it is an arduous task, it takes time to do that.

The chrome has to be removed first, though, since it very hard to polish off.

I found most of the full wheel covers of the fifties had a layer of chrome, so I routinely took them to a plater who would strip them for me.

Cheers, Mike