248 Flywheel needed...

Frank Tedesco

Frank,

If you remove your flywheel to replace the ring gear or just replace it all together, be sure to be aware that the flywheel is not dowelled or referenced by a staggered bolt pattern to the crankshaft. This means it can be put back on in an incorrect position. You need to be aware of where the timing mark on the flywheel is.

Danny

Hi Frank, Sorry no tooth count. I did look in a "newer" Hollander and gives a few more options. According to this book: 1939-1952 series 40, and 50 without dynaflow and 1953 series 40 without dynaflow. Hopefully that will help broaden the search. Carl

Everyone, Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. I have a lead on a used flywheel but would rather a new one.

John, I'm interested in your flywheel. Can you describe it further. I just posted in the Prewar forum, asking for flywheel dimensions:

I'm checking compatibility of using a flywheel from a 39 special on my 47 special. Both have "small" engines. I found the ring gear tooth count is 146 which is just what I need. Can someone provide the additional dimensions from the 39 repair manual? I need the overall diameter (14"?), gear ratio (16.22/1?) and tooth count on the starter pinion (9?) and the tooth pitch (10-12?). If the 39 service manual is similar to my 47 manual, this info should be listed within the Electrical chart.

Thanks,Frank

Frank:

Here are the flywheel specs for the 1939 40 servies from my 39 service manual:

Weight with ring: 36 lbs.

Inside dia. of flywheel ring: 13.293"-13.297"

Diameter of flywheel at ring: 13.301"-13.304"

Number of teeth on flywheel: 146

Flywhl. teeth pitch diametral: 10

My flywheel is on my work bench, easy to see all the details, since my engine is disassembled and I'm prepping it for rebuild. I would be glad to chat with you if would like to get more details about it, send me a PM and I can give you my phone #.

Dave