Stutz Delco combined light/ignition switch

Guest Adelaidian

Guest Adelaidian

I am searching for an early 1920s Stutz Delco light/ignition system dashboard mounted switch.

This switch has the two levers, with one lever controlling the lights and the other three position lever controlling the two-distributor/coil ignition systems.

Help in procuring one of these switches would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jim Scammell

Edited by Adelaidian
Duplication (see edit history)

Guest Adelaidian
Would you have a picture of what you are looking for?

Scott

Thanks Stude Light - here are pictures of the twin lever switch unit on an instrument panel. Its the best I have right now.

The 3-position ignition switch, the lever positions of which are I believe something like the following;

DOUBLE = both distributor/coils on for both sets of spark plugs

SINGLE = one distributor/coil on for one set of spark plugs

OFF = ignition off.

The second lever controls the lighting system.

Thanks

Jim

post-79626-14313869243_thumb.jpg

post-79626-143138692436_thumb.jpg

Adelaidian,

Looks like what you have is a fairly standard Delco item. They are made of pot metal and commonly disintigrate. Do you have the old switch? If you do it is a simple matter to change out the guts into a new housing. These housings have been reproduced and are available from such places as Bob's Automobilia (Buick parts). You also see these switches for sale on ebay though they are not usually in great shape.

Guest Adelaidian
Adelaidian,

Looks like what you have is a fairly standard Delco item. They are made of pot metal and commonly disintigrate. Do you have the old switch? If you do it is a simple matter to change out the guts into a new housing. These housings have been reproduced and are available from such places as Bob's Automobilia (Buick parts). You also see these switches for sale on ebay though they are not usually in great shape.

Thanks NR,

At first glance these switches look like most Delco units, but the switch differs from most, in that the ignition lever controls two sets of coils and distributors, and therefore two sets of spark plugs. This is for a two plug per cylinder system, that is, a twin plug or 2-spark system such as the Stutz.

And unfortunately I don't have the old switch.

Cheers

Jim

I would still suspect that at least the switch housing is standard Delco. I have a Marmon that also has twin ignition and although I haven't checked the switch guts, I think that it is the same as what is on, for example, a Buick. I replaced my housing with one that I got from Bob's Automobilia Even if it is different, I suspect that it would just have slightly different contact ears inside. Maybe some one with a Stutz would be able to post a picture of the back side of the switch. I think it might be helpful to contact a vender of ignition partsa who might have a Delco applications catalog.

Guest Adelaidian

Thanks again NR

I'm off for 10 days holliday tomorrow and out of reach.

What you have written has considerable merit and will be fully investigated on my return.

Thanks again

Jim Scammell

I have several like this. These came on 1920s Studebakers. Most have broken handles though, but I recall that someone made some reproduction handles. Regardless, It doesn't look like they will work for your application.

Scott

post-66547-143138694133_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Adelaidian
I have several like this. These came on 1920s Studebakers. Most have broken handles though, but I recall that someone made some reproduction handles. Regardless, It doesn't look like they will work for your application.

Scott

Hello Scott,

I now have a great photo of the unit I am looking for (see the attached). Two excellent examples were sold as a single lot at the 'Hartung Disposal Auction' on Thursday last, and of course I didn't know they were there.

I hope the fellow who purchased these switches catches up with my post here and is in a position to sell one of the units on to me. I have a Stutz gasoline pressure gauge as part exchange.

I believe the HCS car and the Pierce both used the same switch, the only difference being the maker's script or logo. If I can't get a Stutz, I'd be happy to settle for an HCS or Pierce unit.

Cheers

Jim

post-79626-14313872411_thumb.jpg

Edited by Adelaidian
additional info (see edit history)

A picture of the guts from the back would still let you know what is different from the usual Delco housing if anything. Even though your picture of the front says Stutz, the switches and the keyhole are in exactly the same place as a standard Delco unit. Most every manufacturer would put a front plate with their own name on it.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest raymondwendt
I am searching for an early 1920s Stutz Delco light/ignition system dashboard mounted switch.

This switch has the two levers, with one lever controlling the lights and the other three position lever controlling the two-distributor/coil ignition systems.

Help in procuring one of these switches would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jim Scammell

Hi my name is raymond and i have a 1920 stutz delco light/ ignition system. It is brand new it is the keyless type you can reach me at 918 892 4179

• 2 months later...
Guest Adelaidian
Hi my name is raymond and i have a 1920 stutz delco light/ ignition system. It is brand new it is the keyless type you can reach me at 918 892 4179

Hello Raymond,

Thanks for your posting here back in September. I have only just been alerted to it.

My email address is jimscammell@yahoo.com.au and I'd very much like to hear from you if you still have the switch unit available.

Regards and Merry Christmas

Jim

• 10 years later...
On 12/24/2012 at 5:37 AM, Guest Adelaidian said:

Hello Raymond,

Thanks for your posting here back in September. I have only just been alerted to it.

My email address is jimscammell@yahoo.com.au and I'd very much like to hear from you if you still have the switch unit available.

Jim

On 12/24/2012 at 5:37 AM, Guest Adelaidian said:

Hello Raymond,

Jim

On 10/12/2011 at 5:27 PM, Guest Adelaidian said:

Thanks NR,

At first glance these switches look like most Delco units, but the switch differs from most, in that the ignition lever controls two sets of coils and distributors, and therefore two sets of spark plugs. This is for a two plug per cylinder system, that is, a twin plug or 2-spark system such as the Stutz.

And unfortunately I don't have the old switch.

Cheers

Jim

i know this an old post, but i have the switch your looking for

IMG_2661.JPG