Type of Wood in 1920 & 1922 Dodge Brothers Touring Cars?

DCE

I would appreciate information on the type of wood that was used in the 1920 & 1922 Dodge Brothers touring cars. I am in the process of rebuilding the wood pieces in both of these bodies.

I also need to know the correct type of wood for the floor boards and running boards. Thank you for you assistance.

I appreciate the vast knowledge of the individuals on this forum.

Best regards, Dale

Hello Ron,

I am from Alberta Canada. I believe the bodies I have are considered steel bodies. They have approximately 10 pieces of wood only. These would be for attaching the upholstery to the body. I hope this helps in the discussion. Thank you for the feed back.

Dale

Dale, I dont know if it helps but late 20s Dodge used a combination of a plywood and a solid board. I am not sure what that solid board is but I can find out if you feel it would help. I can also post pictures of the tack strips if you like. These are as you mentioned the wood that was used to mount to the upholstery.

Guest WD Smith

Dale

I am from Ontario Canada and I just finished having some upholtering done on my 1919 and the wood I used is Ash. It is a long grain wood and bends very well when it is steamed Make sure that the grain is straight and uniform I got mine from a handi man who makes funiture he cut the length I needed and planed it to the thickness I needed

Wayne

My grandfather's company supplied the wood for the Dodge Brothers' cars and at this time I am trying to get a verification as to how much wood and what kind of wood was sold to them. The company was Braun Lumber Corporation. In case anyone out there has more information about this, please let me know.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Hickory was used for spokes. Ash was used alot in the bodies, good strong wood. Oak is too hard and brittle.

Thanks for the information Dave. Did you use Ash in the restoration of your 20? Did you use Ash for the floor boards and running boards as well?

Thanks for the help.

My 20 touring is "as purchased" pretty much. It is mostly restored, but I am going to tear it down and reassemble it correctly. Has a 23 frame under it with some weird additions so I am going to put the correct 20 frame under it. I just use good plywood on the floors. My 22 screenside I used oak for the top framing and old straight grain fir for the slats.