1931 Stutz

nickg112

I found and purchased what I have been told is a 1931 Stutz. I measured the wheelbase and it is 132 inches. The frame does not looked altered and I cannot find a number. This looks like a Stutz frame but I do not believe that Stutz made this size wheelbase. The car has 20 inch wheels. I found 2 Stutz motors, transmissions, doors, body, radiators, etc, etc. I am trying to identify what I have. Here are some photos:

1931 Stutz

Does anyone have an idea what I have? Thank you for any help

The dash is 31/32 with a custom insert of some sort. The shocks look 30 or later. I do not believe the wheels are 20 inch, are you sure you measured them correctly? The engines are both single overhead cam so it's not a DV32 which would have been a great find. Although, if it's a SV16 with a conv coupe body that's not too shabby.

I have no idea what that rear end is. Possibly a combination of parts going on.

You can find a serial number on one of the rear chassis horns where the bumper bolts on. The serial number should provide a good idea what the chassis is. I see one of the engine numbers, I don't have my book with me at work but perhaps someone can look that up.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

Thanks for the reply. I may be wrong on the wheelsize. Did you think that the wheels were larger or smaller? I need to check that out. I did double check the wheelbase. I know it is definately 132 inches. Is there such a thing as a Stutz with this size wheelbase? I appreciate any additional information on the engines once you check your data. Thanks

The 20 inch Buffalo has locking rings. The later wheels with the drop center and hubcaps were less in diameter - there were two sizes which are escaping me now. Look for that chassis number which I think is on the right side of the frame. Right where the bumper attaches. My book is at my garage so I won't have that until Saturday. It is possible that you have a combination of cars. Cool in any case. Where did you find the car?

Great find. The wheel standing next to the Stutz engine on the ground does not look like a Stutz wheel. Al is right, the rear axle setting on the car is not a Stutz axle, however, it appears the axle under the car is correct. It should have a worm drive rear end. With that dash it should be a 1931 or 1932 as Al said. Wheelbase should be 134 1/2 inches. The body is a short wheelbase convertible coupe. Someone added the wheel holder on the deck lid. It would not have had that originally. I have one of these bodies too, but not as nice as yours. Do you have the fenders and top mechanism? I sent you a private message.

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

Stutz engine numbers are all 5 digits. I don't know what that numbe is. I think one engine there may be the original, and the other a 1926 - 28 engine. I don't have my book handy either, but the engine number should start with a 3 and be 5 digits long. The engine number is located right by the distributor stamped in the block. I don't know where that number is he took a picture of.

Body looks like a 31, by Phillips? The engines look like 27 or 28 from what I see. Chassis looks early also, maybe with some later add ons. Looks like wheels are both snap ring and drop center. More photos would help. Looks like lots of stuff is missing. Ed

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

If you compare the molding around the cowl with the picture below I think you will see a match. When I see something like this I get excited because it's a great find. But then I get tempered by the thought of how much work it will be to put it all back together again. We all only have so many full restorations in us. The benchmark seems to be about 10 years when you are dealing with a relatively complete car. A car like this will need to go to a Stutz guy if it has any hope of seeing the road again.

CIMG0228.JPG

The picture I posted is a 31/32 Stutz SV16 Conv Coupe which is what you have. I think when you get all the parts together you will find that the original car has been modified slightly (rear end, dash, etc) and that you have some other cars mixed in. Like I said before, great find, although to warn you up front - that engine is going to be about 25k to rebuild assuming it's all there and not cracked.

Nick, just for your infomation, the photo of the green car you see here is the same car as the photo of blue one I sent you. Green is before restoration, blue is after restoration. Lots of money in between! :) Someone had incorrectly slanted the windshield long ago and it was corrected when the car was restored.

Nick, just for your infomation, the photo of the green car you see here is the same car as the photo of blue one I sent you. Green is before restoration, blue is after restoration. Lots of money in between! :) Someone had incorrectly slanted the windshield long ago and it was corrected when the car was restored.

Ah, how great minds think alike :)

I was thinking how nice the green one looked with that windshield. The thought went through my mind that "wow, usually these have a straight windshield but this body looks good".

Guest Mark Desch

The green Stutz is mine. This is a '34 Chasis with what was probably a '31 convertible coupe body. I modified the body to fit my '32 and finished the restoration last Spring. The body is now a dark blue.

The only other possiblity on the 132" wheel base you have is a "Super Bearcat" They had a shorter wheel base, but I am not sure what it was. There was a "Super Bearcat" sold at RM Auctions in Monterey in August.

The intrument panel looks to be either a '31 or '32 but has many more guages than original.

I have lots of pictures, info and extra parts if you are interested.

Mark Desch

cell 651-307-5382

post-69428-143138677151_thumb.jpg

post-69428-143138677161_thumb.jpg

I believe the Super Bearcat was on a 116" wheelbase. And those bodies were made by Weymann and were aluminum or leather. The body in question has the exact same belt moulding as the standard convertible coupe and is steel. The parts on this project have been mixed around a bit, maybe the rear axle isn't mounted onthe springs correctly and is "off" a little. I think when all is said and done it will turn out to be the normal 134 1/2 inch wheelbase.

It is also possible that the front axle was removed and then remounted backwards. It will go on this way and the difference is a couple of inches. You can only do this if the steering box is not connected, because if it is the drag link will not fit and show the error in your ways.

I think they are both designed by LeBaron. Look closely Al. They're the same body. The "updated" one has the raked windshield. I guarantee the 1933 you pictured started life as a straight windshield body that didn't sell, and as Stutz was "nearing the end" they updated it by slanting the windshield to make it look a bit more up to date. There are also bodies out there like this with the straight windshield and no skirted sill. I think the one that started this threar is like that.

I think they are both designed by LeBaron. Look closely Al. They're the same body. The "updated" one has the raked windshield. I guarantee the 1933 you pictured started life as a straight windshield body that didn't sell, and as Stutz was "nearing the end" they updated it by slanting the windshield to make it look a bit more up to date. There are also bodies out there like this with the straight windshield and no skirted sill. I think the one that started this threar is like that.

Jason, I think you are probably right. The later car is listed as a Lebaron in the catalog I believe. I can only count a very few differences between the two cars.