28 DB Truck Cab construction

stakeside

I am restoreing a 28 DB truck cab. I have completed all interior fabracation except for the roof. I do not have any pattern pieces to work from. The header/windshield support piece has 13 drill holes that may have been for wood screws.

What is the wood type and demensions of the wood slats? Was the wood tougue and groove? I have seen a truck with 15 slats of wood with small gap between, but not sure it was original.

Any information would be appreicated.

The attached picture shows tougue and groove I believe.

post-71470-143138672497_thumb.jpg

I am certainly not an expert on 1928 trucks but on 25 and earlier screensides there is a gap between slats, about a quarter inch. I also have a complete original DB or GB top for an 8 foot bed canopy truck which looks like the one on the middle right side of the page 64 in the book "The Dodge Story". If I remember correctly the slats on it are butted up side by side. It is over 11ft. long! I have the top stored upstairs in my shop. If interested I would sell it. It still has the original covering and side and rear curtains as well. All wood is excellent. I'll try to get some pics and post them here.

I would guess that the wood originally used be ash but that is only a guess considering that ash was prevalent where wood was used in these vehicles within this time frame, couldn't the gap between the slats be due to retraction of the wood throughout the years? Again just a guess but I would see no purpose of a gap except to allow for movement of the wood.

It was Quite common to have a slight gap between the slats so as to prevent warping if the timber got wet The same as when beds [trays if your an Aussie] had wooden floors a slight gap of about 1/8th was left between the boards[slats] They usualy closed up in winter but the boards didnt buckle and warp In summer when the moisture was cooked out of the timber you would have the gap back again