'29 Plymouth Rear Wheel Removal

racertb

Only three suggestions that I can think of...#1= back off brake shoes as much as possible to clear grooves/ridges in drums (if any). #2= Get the correct hub puller. #3= remove hub nut, re-install the nut loosely, drive the car slowly around in a circle and the drum may loosen.

Guest DodgeKCL

The '29 Plymouth has QDRs ,quick demountable rims, and as such the wheel (wooden spokes,felloe, and brake drum) are all one piece. The tire and rim come off with the removal of 4 dogs. I had a '29U but don't remember having too much trouble getting at the brake shoes. The rears are keyed with a Woodruff key on a slanted axle shaft. I'm not aware of any wheel removal tool because there are no exposed nuts or bolts to use as anchors to pull the wheel. Seems to me you just 'get out and get under the car' and kick the wheel from underneath as some one slowly rotates the wheel from outside. When you do get it off put a small smear of silicone grease on the inside of the brake hub mating surface and on the axle stub and the key. It will keep the parts from 'welding' themselves together in the future.

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

First, I am not knowledgeable about a 29 Plymouth.

Do you have wood spoke wheels with a screw on hubcap?

If so you can get a wheel puller the shape of a bell.

The inside threads will be same size as your hubcap.

Measure the distance across to determine the correct size.

The bell will have a bolt that screws into the top.l

You screw the wheel puller onto the wheel and the large bolt will press against the axle.

As you screw the bolt in, the hub will loosen and pop off the axle.

First, I am not knowledgeable about a 29 Plymouth.

Do you have wood spoke wheels with a screw on hubcap?

If so you can get a wheel puller the shape of a bell.

The inside threads will be same size as your hubcap.

Measure the distance across to determine the correct size.

The bell will have a bolt that screws into the top.l

You screw the wheel puller onto the wheel and the large bolt will press against the axle.

As you screw the bolt in, the hub will loosen and pop off the axle.

That's the puller I was referring to.

post-37352-143138671401_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest 28 Plymouth cpe.

I had my back wheels off a couple weeks ago on my 28 cpe. I always use a threaded 3 inch nut that screws onto my axle shaft and I whack it till the axle shaft moves into the rear end. The wheel just falls off. Once I did get the brakes on too tight and had to have a friend grab one side and me on the other side and pull like mad. But it always comes off. Years ago an old guy gave me this tool that looks like a big hunk of solid steel but threaded to whack with a sledge . I don't know how to post a picture so send me an email at Billnlana@hotmail.com and I will send you a picture of mine and maybe you can make one

I had my back wheels off a couple weeks ago on my 28 cpe. I always use a threaded 3 inch nut that screws onto my axle shaft and I whack it till the axle shaft moves into the rear end. The wheel just falls off. Once I did get the brakes on too tight and had to have a friend grab one side and me on the other side and pull like mad. But it always comes off. Years ago an old guy gave me this tool that looks like a big hunk of solid steel but threaded to whack with a sledge . I don't know how to post a picture so send me an email at Billnlana@hotmail.com and I will send you a picture of mine and maybe you can make one

Sounds like a good way to ruin your rear axle bearings. You should see if you can find or make the puller described elsewhere in this thread to you can do it without damaging otherwise good parts.

• 3 weeks later...
Keiser:

Will that puller work on my car? I saw it on a Model A site...

Without knowing what your diameter of the hub thread is there is no way to tell. There are several of these in different sizes on ebay once in a while. You will have to match up the thread size prior to getting one.

Without knowing what your diameter of the hub thread is there is no way to tell. There are several of these in different sizes on ebay once in a while. You will have to match up the thread size prior to getting one.

Ok...I can measure, but would there be more than one size a for the '29 wood spoke wheels? I assume the Model A truck one (like the one pictured) probably won't work??? I guess I could measure and then give them a call...

Different car companies had different hub sizes. I am not certain what thread size you have or if it would be the same as my 1931 Dodge. A lot of them look alike with the side bolt tightener, but the thread count and diameter must be the same as your hub. I have a couple lying around, so try to measure your hub and we will compare. Oh....please don't get under the car and start kicking the wheel.