What is it about Ohio?

Guest Grant Magrath

Guest Grant Magrath

It seems that every time I find a nice, affordable car on eBay or wherever, it's always in Ohio! What the.....? Why is that? Or is it just me?

Cheers

Grant

It is heavily populated for it's size (7th right now). If you're looking at older cars, Ohio was even more disproportionate in size back in the 20's-50's before the western USA really exploded. I bet it was top 5 back then.

Ohio has been hit pretty hard with the economic downturn with Cleveland and Toledo (Detroit area) being so industrial-related. Maybe that's forcing some to sell that hadn't planned on it.

As a side note, people from KY like to make fun of people from OH, mainly because uneducated KYians think we were a true Southern state in the Civil War, but it really depended on where in KY you were. We in KY think of ourselves as Southerners, and Ohioans as Northerners :) Ohioans do like to clutter up our lakes with their boats. We call them the Ohio Navy down here. It's all in fun.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

Hey grant,

What did you think of that '40 in New jersey, that had the screwy dash job ?

Check Fast Lane Classic Cars - Classic Cars and Muscle Cars for sale just on the north side of St Louis Ill. for a beautiful black 1947 Chrysler Royal @ only $11 K. I know it's not a Buick, but it really should find a good home. If I had the room, I'd be on the road tonight, checkbook in hand.

On another note Grant, Joe Buick is looking for you re; thermal switch fix/repair. I told him you'r the man on this subject.

Sorry to muddy up the thread......

Mike in Colorado

Guest Grant Magrath
Hey grant,

What did you think of that '40 in New jersey, that had the screwy dash job ?

Check Fast Lane Classic Cars - Classic Cars and Muscle Cars for sale just on the north side of St Louis Ill. for a beautiful black 1947 Chrysler Royal @ only $11 K. I know it's not a Buick, but it really should find a good home. If I had the room, I'd be on the road tonight, checkbook in hand.

On another note Grant, Joe Buick is looking for you re; thermal switch fix/repair. I told him you'r the man on this subject.

Sorry to muddy up the thread......

Mike in Colorado

Yeah, I emailed him on Saturday, but the email bounced back. I'll cut and paste it when I get home tonight and send it as a PM.

On the subject of the next project, the jury's still out. I'm in the process of painting the Stingray. Once that's done, I'll use it over the summer and see what happens! A nice GSX would be pretty cool!

Oh, and it's hard for me to form an opinion on anything from 1940-42, since for us colonials, the war started in 1939, and we never really got anything from the USA until 46, and then not as many models as pre-war.:mad: In fact, I've never seen a 1940 Buick before in my life!:eek: (in the flesh that is!) I do, however, have the 1940 front bumper that came with the 39 coupe!:)

Sorry for the excessive use of emoticons!

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath
Here is one!

Great! I'll be over after I finish on air at 7pm. Need a new bumper? Make sure the Russia-Italy game is on!

Cheers

Grant:D

Guest stephen48

Photo was taken in Invercargill NZ Jan 2006.The previous photo was taken a couple of years ago in a rural area near Auckland.The AW.... registration plate indicates that car was in the Northern part of the North Island when the "permanent plates"were issued in 1964.

One thing I have noticed in the old car hobby over many years ,is that there are usually more examples of particular cars around than there are thought to be by those in the know!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest stephen48

Possibly but I do not know it's history. I took the photo in Jan 2010 at Kumeu. I just now came across it again while editing my photos on the computer.I have so many I don't always recall some. Regards, Stephen.

p.s I hoped your Buick coupe may have been at the Canterbury swapmeet display but no sign of it!

Guest Grant Magrath

Sorry about that!

The weather was a bit rough this year. We normally go, but I have a lot of work to do on the Stingray, so weather plus lack of time, and the swapmeet being one day shorter meant we were a no show. Shame it wasn't on Sunday, as it was the best day of the lot! But we will be at USA Day on the 6th Nov if you want to catch up!

Cheers

Grant

Edited by Grant Magrath
Spelling (see edit history)