Tool for removing molding?

Guest Lasse

My "big wet princess" -project is going along, and the next phase is to take of the reveal moldings around the windscreen.

The problem is, I have no idea how to do it without scratching or breaking anything. In the Body Service manual there is a detailed picture, with a special tool (attached).

Of course these tools are no longer sold, so do you have any ideas how to get the job done? Or how to replicate a tool like this?

Thanks!

post-75661-14313866476_thumb.jpg

Guest Kingoftheroad

I have the tool to remove window trim. However, this time around, I paid a pro a few bucks to remove the stainless round the windows on my Riv. They came out, took 5 minutes, and it was done.

Thanks for all the tips! As the case usually is, I couldn´t find that item from local hardware outlets so I ordered it from the States. Not bad though, 18 bucks delivered to my door in Finland...

rls65rls: Yes, I do need to re-install it. Any tips or tricks?

Guest Kingoftheroad
Usually a bump with the meaty part of your hand will seat the molding on the clip. Anything else is liable to put a ding in the stainless molding.

Ed

Thats how I put mine back on, just remember to put them back on in order or it might be a struggle to get the last two or three pieces back on without damaging something.

The drip channel mouldings are a pain. The method is described in the body manual. It calls for a special tool with a hook to get them started coming off. They have to be done in order as well.

I found that a paint can opener (free with a gallon of paint at my local hardware store) worked perfectly. The other end will open a beer when you are done. Useful little device.

Zimm

• 3 weeks later...

Used the paint can opener to remove the drip rail moldings. Took it real easy to not damage the moldings, and it worked very well.