Danbury Mint releases new model -- 1956 Buick Roadmaster convertible

Centurion

Predicted to be a sell-out, Danbury Mint announced its latest issue today -- a 1:24-scale replica of the 1956 Buick Roadmaster convertible in Dover White and Tahiti Coral.

Price, including shipping in the USA, is $158. The models are due for shipping in early October, and the model is limited to 5,000 units.

Customer service number is 1-800-243-4664 and the item number is 9635-0012.

This appears to be the car that the die cast model is based on:

4126138_large2.jpg

4126139_large2.jpg

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

The real car appears to be Jim Taylors from NY. At least it looks identical. The controls under the dash are the heater controls. Everytime the topic comes up I think the designers inadvertantly left out the heater controls ( especially after the awesome 54/55 controls) and they wound up here by a quick design

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

This thing is amazing! Like every scale model I've ever seen, the overview is given away by the Little Orphan Annie look to the headlights. Surely these artistes could come up with something more convincing. The engine compartment and interior are fantastic though. Squint just a bit and these photos look like the real thing.

Regarding the "heater controls" - come on, JohnD1956, you've got to be pulling our legs.

Gunjeep444, you out there? Is that stuff hanging under the dash of your show winner (photo below) really the heater controls? If so, Franklin Mint got it uncharacteristically a little crude. Also if so, I hope someone in Buick interior design got fired over that. They must have, because the heater and a/c controls were again beautifully integrated in 1957.

The big ringed knob on the righthand side of the steering column and the two slide switches adjacent to it are the HVAC controls. If any of you are contemplating redoing your '57 Buick dashboard all in white, you have my enthusiastic blessing! It looks great.

post-59990-143138640423_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143138640442_thumb.jpg

OK ,

Can someone clear up a problem between the model pictured and the real 56 pictured.

On the model pictured and I think its correct, the small chrome mldg at the top of the wheel opening just below the stainless trim. is facing correctly , but on car pictured , I think they are reversed.

Any experts out there ?????????????????

Thanks

Bill

Guest gunjeep444

Heater controls hang under the dash. Ones with AC had the same control, but a spot for the AC. Just sold one of those.

OK ,

Can someone clear up a problem between the model pictured and the real 56 pictured.

On the model pictured and I think its correct, the small chrome mldg at the top of the wheel opening just below the stainless trim. is facing correctly , but on car pictured , I think they are reversed.

Any experts out there ?????????????????

Thanks

Bill

Good eye Bill. I think you're right, it looks backwards on both sides of the real 56.