Chicago meet

Guest rogerman

Guest rogerman

I just joined AACA last year and attended the meet in Moline ILL. I enjoyed it very much, and thought that it was run very well. I have signed up for the Chicago meet, but was appalled by the prices. The club has talked about getting young members, and new members. But, at those prices, I'm not sure. I hope this doesn't turn out to be a club for an elite few. It isn't that I can afford it or not, but I don't understand trying to charge double or triple prices. I love the club and will be in Chicago, but with a tight grip on my wallet. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Roger, the tours were expensive and most have been cancelled. However, the prices were based on low volume, cost of buses, etc. They were higher than a lot of other meets but that is what you get in a major metropolitan area. The price to show at the meet still is the same no matter what, so in the end the customer still gets to make the decision. Hard for most regions to come out ahead on these events and the national club only does in a few isolated instances. The region does not keep the registration fee, that goes to national to offset trophy costs. However a First Junior trophy is over $75! As you can see, this is not an easy issue for anyone.

Guest prewarpieces

Having been a convention chairman for other clubs, I can tell you that you absolutely can not win. If you have a convention in the middle of nowhere and have reasonable prices, you get complaints that there is "nothing to do" and your attendance suffers because there is not a lot of population near the convention site. When you have it near a city, with a large and potentially supportive collector population, people complain that it is too expensive. I attended the Rolls Royce National Meet at this same Oakbrook, IL facility (Marriott), and let me tell you that it is a great venue and the prices quoted to the AACA members are very reasonable compared to other events that have been there.

Steve,

Thanks for following up with us.

I sent off an email off to the chair person but have not heard back yet. Wanted to see the list of the events and where the car show will be located.

Is the showfield at the hotel?

Hi Tom I'm not with the local chapter but do have my Oakbrook info here and will be attending the show.

Yes, the show field is a parking lot directly next to the hotel. The hotel is the Oakbrook Hills Marriott on Midwest/Cass Ave. between Ogden and 31st Street. 3500 Midwest Road to be precise.

Several tours did not get off their feet so you need to check with Bob on those. I believe the one heading into Chicago is a go!

Trailer parking is off site if you have a need.

I know Bob Markert from our ATHS chapter as well. I do know he is dealing with medical issues involving his Wife Pat in the midst of this.

He's a good guy I'm sure he be in touch.

Maybe we'll see you there.

Talked to Bob Markett tonight for a few details on the trailer parking for this meet. Bob tells me that we should arrive at the hotel first to get our registration packages and then ask that the trailers proceed to the trailer staging lot to unload. The lot is about a mile or so away and can be accessed from local roads (just a few turns away from the hotel). The lot is secure for those arriving early and dropping the trailers.

Just a tip for those heading to town looking for some sights. The Brookfield Zoo is an outstanding stop! Exit the hotel and go north about a mile to 31st Street. Turn right (east) about ten minutes and you are there. The zoo is world class and includes indoor and outdoor endless stuff to see. Scooters are available for rent if the walk is a concern.

Listen to me I sound like the chamber of commerce!

Just my stomping grounds.

See you all soon.

Neat, neat story about John's 1936 Chevy Master, bought new by his grandfather, who loaded it up with just about every accessory available at the time he bought it.

1936 Chevy owners would be extremely envious of John's original running board mats, which are nearly perfect. Reproductions are no where near correct, unless modified considerably.

post-33613-143138657862_thumb.jpg

There was a whole parking lot full of unique cars. It seemed like practically every car had either a unique story, or was a one-of-one, or one-of-three, or something I've never even seen before. It was a spectacular show. I had the pleasure of driving this car home for its owner. What an impressive driving machine. 1919 Paige Daytona.

post-33613-143138657961_thumb.jpg

You are very welcome Steve. Your Grand Daughter is welcome any time. She is very sweet. The kids are always welcome to give the bell a ring. It is amazing what might stick with them.

You sure called that one right West. My Daughter Melanie has been a very important part of restoring and showing of the fire engine. She does a great job and takes pride in how it looks on a show field.

She's all car girl. We had not planned on having the truck judged this time but when the paper work was in the packet we said what the heck.

A preservation award came home that eve.

More important though was my two wing men that also showed this time. My Dad, Milt, decided to bring his T&C sedan. He cleaned, prepped, and drove the car to the show. With a 40 plus year old restoration we were super happy with a Jr. Third.

Our buddy J.D. also gave his first run on a AACA field with his 57 Chevy. He came home with a Jr. second, also great!

What a super time. Thank you Illinois Region.

post-60266-143138658653_thumb.jpg

Edited by msmazcol
picture (see edit history)