1942 dodge coupe (d-22)

Guest hiyudon

Guest hiyudon

Hello All,

I have an embarrassing question to ask. I just bought a 42 dodge three window coupe earlier this month. I discovered after the second time driving it that I don't have a brake light.

What is supposed to be the brake light is wired into the headlight and tail light circuit. Looking at my service manual it looks like there isn't one. I find this hard to believe.

Upon further review, I cannot find the brake stop switch. I looked an the master cyllinder and on the brake pedal area. I have not lifted the car on stands yet as I have not had the time.

Anyone know where to stop switch is?

Thank you in advance

Don

Guest hiyudon

Thank you Keiser. That's what I thought, but there is no switch either on the brake pedal or on the end of the master cylinder from what I can see. That's what makes this so strange. According to the service manual I have, it doesn't show in the print. There's not even a stop light on the drawing...

As it is now, my brake light is wired into the tail light circuit..

Oh wll, will have to do some searching. The car was restored to a very nice degree, that's what makes this strange.

Thanks again,

Don

Guest De Soto Frank

Look for a pressure switch in the brakelines on the frame rail, just in front of the driver's side front body mount ( open "leg" that comes down from the cowl ).

As they came form the factory, the center light on the deck lid was the ONLY brake light. :eek:

The lights on the rear fenders were for tailight-only, or tail-light and turn-signal if the car was equipped with factory turnsignals.

Some MoPars of this vintage had the rear lighting re-wired and re-lamped with stop-lights in the original fender lights, others had aftermarket lights kludged-onto the rear of the car.

If your D-22 has a headlight switch with one 30-amp SFE fuse on it, then all vehicle lighting gets its power through this fuse.

The brake light gets its power from a terminal on the headlight switch, this wire runs down to the hydraulic switch on the frame, then the wire runs back to the light on the deck lid.

If your car does not have turn signals and you are keeping it that way, you can install double-filament sockets in your original fender-mounted tailights, and run jumper wires from the center stop-light to each fender light, connecting to the "Bright" filament ( 21 CP ), using a #1154 bulb. (Assuming you are staying with 6-volts).

If you are planning on upgrading to turn signals, that is a bit different, PM me for details.

I had to sort all this out on both my '41 De Soto and my '48 New Yorker.

:cool:

Guest hiyudon

That's a big help Frank. Thank you. In my service manual it shows the car with the circuit breaker headlight switch as you mentioned. I have the tail lights and the license light and brake light in the middle. I don't know why they connected the brake light with the tail light section.

I'll look for that brake switch tonight!!!

Thanks again to all..

Don

Guest bofusmosby

I strongly recommend you to install turn signal lights. Its no big deal, and it'l be a lot safer for you. I installed the turn signal (rear) on my 37 Pontiac by installing a second socket inside the original tail light assembly. I added a couple of small lights on the front bumper for the front signals.

Guest hiyudon

It has the signal lights in the rear already set up. It's all there. Just have to see why the brake switch is not (or appears not) in the circuit.

While I'm here, I noticed a "Clanger" type bell in the lower left bulkhead on the drivers side near the floor. Looks like a fire alarm bell on a ship. What is this thing for?! Precursor to a backup alarm? lol

Gotta love this old technology, it's great.

Guest hiyudon

Found it! Can get to it from the engine compartment from above. The switch works fine according to my meter. There's power to the switch. Problem is don't know where the wire goes to...

The car's been rewired in the not too distant past it appears. Good job except they missed the brake light connection. There's a wire in the trunk that comes out about 16 inches then returns back into the cabin area. This may very well be it. I'll have to see if they make a low voltage tracer.

I can run a temp lead from from the switch under the carpet and into the trunk and light. Protected of course.

Thank you again for all your inputs.

Don

While I'm here, I noticed a "Clanger" type bell in the lower left bulkhead on the drivers side near the floor. Looks like a fire alarm bell on a ship. What is this thing for?! Precursor to a backup alarm? lol

Gotta love this old technology, it's great.

Is it a Bermuda Bell?

Way cool if it is.

Guest hiyudon

Just uploaded one. I'll take more pics tomorrow. Just bought the car a few weeks ago, haven't had much time to spend with it yet..

• 3 months later...

Don,

Sorry I missed all these conversations. Looks like you got some good advised.

Do you have good pressure with all your brakes? If there is air in the front lines. the switch may not work right, but if you are driving the car and stopping good, that would not likely be it.

Your brake wire should run up over the drivers door and then back down into the trunk. If the wire is original, it could be cracked and shorting out when you push the brake pedal.

Might look at wire support clips or where the wire leaves the car body and enters to the trunk lid near the spring hinge. Look for breaks in the insulation.

Ron