Wiper Motor Help

Guest Birdman

Guest Birdman

Hi Guys,

I need a new wiper motor for my 65.

I ordered one from OPG - got the wrong one. Not even close.

Anyone know where I can get one?

Is a motor from a 63 or 64 different than 65?

Can I use a 63 or 64 motor in my 65?

Thanks for your help.

David

I'm pretty sure that any first generation wiper motor will work. Is yours repairable? If so, that might be a good move, at least you'd know what you've got to start with. Do you have it out yet? If not, check the archives for advice on getting it out.

Has anyone bought anything from OPG that HAS been correct? :rolleyes:

Ed

In regards to the wiper motor or in general? Wiper motor - I doubt that there's any, but you'd have to access a parts book to make sure.

Find a reputable auto electrical shop, one that rebuilds starters and alternators and see if they can do it. I've a local shop here in the KC area rebuild window motors, starters, alternators, and, as they say, "anything that has wires."

All sorts of stuff on the other question.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

What was the problem with the motor? Typical problems are very often caused by a bad ground under one of the mounting screws. This ground completes the circuit for the internal relay in the motor.

Also, extended inactivity which is typical for a stored car or even for a collector car which sees fair weather use, can cause light corrosion to build on the motor commutator preventing start up. A light tap with a long punch thru the access hole in the driver`s side wheel well while the switch is in the "on" position will wake up a sleepy motor. Sure beats pulling out the motor only to find the problem could have been solved in a few minutes.

I would bench test the motor before I condemned it. Sit down with the shop manual for a few minutes and familiarize yourself with the theory of operation. It is a little more complicated than your typical 12 volt motor setup because of the internal relay which allows the wipers to park but it is not rocket science. The shop manual does a great job explaining troubleshooting. Unless the linkage is frozen and someone abused the motor (like operating it without circuit protection) it shouldn`t just wear out or burn out. The old wiper motors are pretty strong, good luck,

Tom Mooney

I agree with Tom to bench test it. I agree with Ed to get an auto electric shop to rebuild it, if required.

Mine had a worn out switch internal to the motor (would not start) that I swapped out from a motor from a parts car. All is well now, 10 years later.

When bench testing, be aware that the momentum of the motor running without any load on it will result in it over-running the shut off park position and it will turn itself back on. Put an external load on the motor actuator arm to get it to stop. This is only when testing on the bench. On the car will stop as expected.

Guest Birdman

When I pulled the wiper motor I found that the linkage was locked up solid from rust and non-use for the past 10 years or so. The motors electrical terminals were badly corroded and the washer pump was shot. All rubber parts were dry rotted. I removed the housing on the motor and the brushes and springs are almost imposible to get back in. I just want to replace the motor and pump with a nice working unit. The problem is I can't find a motor for a 65. What's so special about a 65 wiper motor? Can I just use a 63 or 64 wiper motor? What is the difference between a 63/64 wiper motor and a 65?

I`m not sure what the differences are...could be orientation or possibly something internal like the relay or windings. There are many service bulletins in `65 regarding the wiper motors and the service kits still show up on Ebay regularly so who knows?

I checked Hollanders and a Buick parts book "up to `70" and the books are consistent in the interchanges for the `65 wiper motors. Apparently, all `65 and `66 big cars with 2 speed wipers are the same. If you have no luck locating a used motor via normal channels send me a PM and I`ll raid the stash,

Tom Mooney

Guest 613007

I ran into a similar problem with my 65. I had a spare 64 motor, but the plug and wiring was different. If I remember right, there was an external resistor that was corroded on the 65 motor assy.

Don

I have related question here though if it's a hijack please let me know and I'll make my own thread.

Can anyone verbalize the pin out of the motors? i.e. what wire does what? I'm looking at the options of adding a delay wiper to the orginal motor but it's depending on the ability to keep the wipers from "parking" after each delay sweep.

Thanks,