47 super eight - door weatherstrip question

Guest craftsmen22

Guest craftsmen22

Hello,

on our 47 Buick super eight conv. the weatherstripping at the doors is quite bad. I am talking about the stripping that runs at the doors front edge down, where the door hitches are located. It is held in place with little metal stripes with little screws. At the upper and lower end the stripping is glued on to the door metal.

Would anyone know the correct name and where to get these rubber weatherstripping? And which adhesive to use?

Regards,

Tom

I'd just buy it by the foot from Bob's Automobilia. I bought my first set from Steele Rubber, and they were nice, but $$$, because they're preformed. I paid about 65 dollars for both doors (from Bob's) on my '53 after it was repainted.

Guest craftsmen22

Hi Bill,

thank you, I checked bob's automobilia, but I was not able to find the DW-420. So I sent a e-mail yesterday, but no response so far. Would you have a link for me?

Regards,

Tom

Edited by craftsmen22
mistake (see edit history)

I'd just give them a call...they're pretty good to deal with on the phone...Sorry about my earlier answer...for some reason I thought you were talking about the door to body seal all the way around the door.

It is a real troublesome weatherstrip to replace. It is stapled to the metal strap and the strap is screwed to the door post. To get the screws out you will need to take out that small bolt holding the door stop in place (the small arm seen in your first picture). 5/16 bolt head as I remember. That will allow the door to open further than normal so you can get at the screws. be careful of the door hitting the front fender if opened to far. 3M makes the whether strip adhesive you will need. Comes in yellow and black, you want the black. Available in most auto supply stores.

Guest craftsmen22

Hi Pirate,

thanks for your descricption, I already was able to take the old weatherstripping out, the same way as you described it. Now I am on vacation, but as soon as I get back I call the parts people. Will post my succsess after.

Tom