Making some Brass "Rivets"

I needed some brass # 6 threaded "rivets" and could not find them online so I decided to make my own.

I first drilled a series of holes in a piece of firebrick the size of the shank to hold a batch of machine screws. Then wire brushed each and dropped in holes, silver soldered each slot full. In the next step I chucked each up in a cordless 90 degree drill and shaped them on a 1" belt sander,then right to the buffing wheel.It was all pretty quick and easy.

The silver solder is barely noticeable.

Painted flat black the nuts on the inside do not detract from the appearance of the lamps in MHO .

post-59140-143138631628_thumb.jpg

post-59140-143138631633_thumb.jpg

post-59140-143138631638_thumb.jpg

post-59140-143138631642_thumb.jpg

Great work Ken

I am glad to see someone else is prepared to improvise. I am sure that the people who built our cars did not rely on what was available on the "net"...

You have every right to be proud of your efforts and the excellent result.

Bernie J.

I tend to agree with Ken, what you get from many of the suppliers of modern replacement fixings is simply not correct when compared against the original. Several times in the past I have bought reproduction screws, dome nuts etc only to leave them in the pack unused. Not the right stuff...

Bernie J.

Amen. I used all the originals I could ,but everything else had to be modified . Step bolts for the fenders and the rivets for the fender back up plates were new but just didn't look right. Any new bolts I used were striped of plating any marking filed off.

No wonder it took so long !