'39 jack handle

danhar1960

Fellow '39ers

Could someone post a pic of an original jack handle and a few dimensions with it. Did it break or fold in the middle or is it one piece?? I have a handle that will fit the jack and do the job but I would like to confirm if what I have is correct.

Danny

Danny

Sent you an email with cc Grant & Terry. 39BuickEight If you PM you email will send to you

No idea if its correct for USA Buick. Would not be surprised if GM Holden Australia used something different

Look a very unsafe device. I would not use !

post-51977-143138631582_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Hi, Gang. That is the same, correct one-piece jack handle used in our U.S. 1939 Buicks, as well.

I had pursued doing an absolutely exact (rotating barrel and formed end to fit the jack) reproduction of the '39 handle. After getting the fabrication quotes, I needed to price them at about $75 to come out. I posted that possible project on here, but only got two replies showing an interest in buying one. I was surprised at that, since the jack in itself is hard to find, and then most of them are missing the correct handle.

I'm sure more people would step forward if I actually did the '39 handles, but the lack of initial interest earlier this summer kind of turned me off on taking the project to completion. Best, John

Thanks for the pics Allan and thanks for the confirmation John.

The jack is the same as the jacks I have but the handle is a bit different. Maybe Holden did make there own. It doesn't look too complicated to make so I'll probably do that but it would be for show only. I've never actually tried to use one.

Looking at Billy's boot (trunk) the spare tyre (tire) holder is different also. Holden doesn't have that angled bracket. Mine has a giant wing-nut to hold the bracket in place.

Danny