Split rim ID needed

Barnbikes

• 1 year later...

My former 1927 Chevy used a 4.50-21 tire on a 21" DEMOUNTABLE rim. The 1928, or maybe the 1929 may have been the change to 20" rims.

When I replaced the old tires, I went to 5.00-21 Balloon tires, and got a better ride, especially considering the short 103" wheelbase of the '27. The '28 had a longer wheelbase, as in preparation for the 6-cylinder engine which was later used for the 1929 Model Year.

Edited by Marty Roth
spelling (see edit history)

Since we're on the subject, does anyone know if the disc wheels popular on teens/twenties Dodge Brothers vehicles are consdered split rim? There is a split retainer on the outer side of the wheel that goes around next to the tire bead and appears to lock into the rim somehow. I'm not sure if one of those rim tools would help here.

The triangular rim jacks are for split, demountable, split, rims only. For the uninformed, a wheel is not a rim, despite what we may read or hear. A rim is a component of the wheel. It may be riveted or welded to the wheel center or it might be bolted on and be "demountable". It made tire changes much easier since most early cars did not use lug nuts like the more modern cars do.