antique bumper

Guest hundtc

Guest hundtc

My grandpa pulled this bumper out of the ditch. He says its from a 1930s truck. I'm looking for some identification and an idea of possible value. The bumper is not bent at all, just some rust and very heavy!

Thanks!

post-78043-143138626484_thumb.jpg

Nice find. Well, it could go on a truck. But normally a three bar bumper would go on a larger car such as a Buick Master series car from the 1920s. Bumpers in this time-frame were options, installed by the dealer, and made by many vendors. Value, well, it depends if you really need one and are willing to pay. I would guess $80 to $100 for an un-restored, rough example. Others may have a different idea.

Guest elmo39

just a simple question , what are you guys going to do when all your rare parts have been sold for scrap for 12 cents a pound , remember they are not made any more.

just a simple question , what are you guys going to do when all your rare parts have been sold for scrap for 12 cents a pound , remember they are not made any more.

I never scrap anything....I may need it some day.

Many years ago when I was first starting out with Crosleys, one of our more senior members told me to NEVER scrap anything from a Crosley. As a result, I accumulated a rather sizeable amount of junk. Last year that same guy was visiting my house and he asked me "why are you keeping all that junk???" I still have it all but I'm starting to think about it!!!

Half true. Many replacement parts are being made, especially for the more popular models. I doubt the Buick bumper is being remade, but it would probably be less expensive to remake the brackets/bananas than to try and restore those.