1949 New Yorker tail light restoration question?

Guest nikch86

Guest nikch86

Hello.

My tail lights are intact, but all covered with little cracks and in places are bleached. Is there any way I could restore them?

If not, Does anyone makes "affordable" replicas?

The only ones I found were $888 a pair.

Thanks.

Guest nikch86

Just polishing won't do it. It has deep cracks al over and some dicoloration.

What we thought of is to make a mold from old onese and use some red plastic glass forming it in place by a heat gun. Anyone done that before?

Guest rsd9699

I read the article on making a tail light and I think it is doable but the only question I have is the products ability to weather the sun's UV rays for a few years? I don't expect forever but I would hope for 5 or 6 with a little TLC. But I found no hint that it would last 30 days?

Ron

Guest bkazmer

depends entirely on the formulation with which you cast. The ones I've seen done well use acrylic (good basic chemictry for clarity and weathering) with a UV absorber added. I think several different UV absorbers would work, but I'd try to avoid the hindered phenolics because of their tendency to turn yellow or pink.

Seems to me this wouldn't be that hard of a piece to find though. Decent production numbers

Guest rsd9699

Per my 49 Olds 98 - the same type of plastic I think was used. I did find some nos lens and have them boxed away. I also found some after market lens in glass. These are what I use as I like the color better plus I can use a hotter bulb without fear of melting something.

I am not a chemistry major but I do know there are things that you mix into resins to provide UV protection.

Ron

I'd say, be patient and continue looking on ebay and JAXED the site mash. Get a Hemmings Motor News and contact the western yards (or all yards for that matter) I own a 49 New Yorker and I know where there are 3 49 New Yorkers about 25 miles away from me in Newton, Iowa and I'll bet he has these taillights. I think he only sells whole cars BUT it's worth a shot. I can get his contact info if you want.

Don't pay $888 (although it seems you weren't going to). I am not sure about the recasting etc sounds like a lot of work when there are still several out there.

Guest cargray

I have a pair of New Old Stock 49 Chrysler tail light lens..These are from an old chrysler dealership, and are in perfect condition. ...Are all 49 chrysler lens the same? Maybe I could get a part # off them if you are interested..Would sell for$300 for the pair, free shipping in USA..I can send pictures if you send email address..RD

Guest cargray

As you can see, these lens are very complicated, and would be near impossiable to duplicate.....also dont think the lens on ebay in the posty above are for 49 Chrysler .......RD

Not impossible to recast if a person had a pristine pair as a pattern. There is the shrinkage problem though. The materials to make the mold(s) and then the casting resin would cost almost what the asking price is, I think a vacuum pump/chamber would be required too, although the mold could be used to cast a number of sets for resale. Not a job for the inexperianced though. Just my opinion...........bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Guest cargray

I am thinking like you Bhigdog...Man I would hate to attempt recasting these,I can see hours and hours of hand work and polishing....Also when was the last time you got ANY repro part that fit right...Nothing like a factory original, in my opinion