Anybody seen one of these?

Guest steveskyhawk

Guest steveskyhawk

I pulled this from a Riviera. Any idea what the purpose of the additional parts are on this antenna?

post-53748-143138617007_thumb.jpg

post-53748-143138617015_thumb.jpg

Steve,

While I've never seen one in person, I'm fairly certain that is a dual band (combination) antenna from a Rivi with the optional factory cell-phone. These were setup so that the AM/FM radio and cell phone both utilized the same antenna mast. There was an on-board splitter that ran out two separate antenna leads, one to the RIM (radio module) and one the the cell transceiver module.

Not of much use now, (factory cell phone was an analog job, for which service no longer exists) but if in good condition can still be used as a replacement radio antenna just as a normal one.

KDirk

Guest Recian

stupid question here. So does that mean the riv antennas will fit the reatta? what years? Mine the plastic band is broken so it stays up and the seal that holds it to the body is letting water into the trunk

Recian,

Pretty sure the Rivi antenna will fit. The mast might be longer on some variants, but I think the antenna body (below the fender) would still fit in the trunk of the Reatta. If someone knows otherwise, please post and I will delete this if I am mistaken.

KDirk

Guest steveskyhawk

FWIW. Many of these antenna had a rubber drain tube to vent the water outside. The Reattas didn't get this. I have no idea why. My cars seldom see light of day much less rain so water isn't an issue for me.

I pulled this from a Riviera. Any idea what the purpose of the additional parts are on this antenna?

what year Riv did that come out of, I thougth it might also be part of the factory CB option that was available in the 80s

The tip of the antenna should also be different if it was the CB

Guest Richard D

Recian, When I replaced my antenna about two years ago they sent me a chrome mast by mistake, I had asked for the gloss black mast. They told me to keep the chrome one in case I ever needed it. After two years I would be happy to send it to you if you like. It has the white nylon toothed strip connected and is still in it's package. Just PM me your address if you want it.

Richard

The Reatta did not use an antenna that had the "toothed" strip. Some other GM cars did, my neighbor has a '89 Century that has the flat toothed strip.

The Riviera, Reatta and many other GM cars used antenna that looked identical.... until you look at the end that goes through the fender.

On the Reatta, the gold colored tube had covers the mast is crowned at the top end, where it touches the fender. The two points allow the end to seat against the curve of the fender.

As mentioned in a note above, other GM cars, especially Cadillacs had a different end at the fender. The gold tube is cut of square to the tube and the cast tip has a KNOB instead of threads (the Reatta has threads) and that know snaps into a soft plastic part that fits into the hole in the fender.

You can convert the square cut antenna to work on a Reatta but you must remove the end knob and install the threaded end (I have never tried to use the Cadillac plastic part on a Reatta, so I don't know if it will fit the hole in the Reatta fender.

wht89-

Did you have the factory cell phone in the Rivi, or an aftermarket unit? The factory setup used a handset in the center console, and tranceiver module mounted under the rear deck between the speakers. Per the FSM, the power antenna was shared between the cell transceiver and the radio module, with no separate "squiggy" antenna for the cell phone. The factory cell phone also had duplicate setup/dialing/number directory controls accessible from the touchscreen due to being integrated with the BCM and CRTC.

The Reatta never had the factory cell as an option. With enough modding of the wiring harness, it could have been added (support was in the BCM and CRTC as the same modules were used in both cars) but the needed harnesses were not present in the Reatta. So, unless someone did a serious modification, the one in your Reatta would have been an aftermarket add-on.

KDirk