Carburetor on Maxwell

mrcvs

Any ideas on why a carburetor might leak gas extensively and when you whack it a bit with the head of a screwdriver, it stops leaking. Then it might be fine when running and leak when not running, or the other way around. There is no consistency here. I can't figure out how to get it so that it consistently operates without leaking, and not needing regular adjustment. It is a Johnson carburetor. I believe something might be wrong with the float. If so, are there any good websites on what to do and how to fix a carburetor if I need to diassemble it. Thanks.

Float mechanism for sure but dont whack it too hard as the casting is likely to crack.

Cant help with a Johnson carb, but disassembly and careful attention to the float valve mechanism may prove worthwhile.

Yes, I am 99 % sure it is the float; it has not been a problem before, according to previous owners, except for with the last owner at the very end. My guess it's the ethanol in modern gasoline causing this problem. The fact that it is a Johnson carburetor and I lack experience with this is a bit of a problem. Thanks!

I would also check the needle and seat to make sure that they are sealing ok. You might want to check the float for buoyancy. I don't know whether you have a brass or cork float but either one could give you problems. Make sure nothing is bent on the float to want to cause the needle to come down at a slight angle.