'25 Muffler / Tailpipe install

MikeC5

I can't find a detailed enough photo to tell, how should the muffler brackets go? Should the muffler top side be even with the bottom of the frame? Also, the tailpipe has a sharp slope on one end (to the radius going over rear axle) and a more gradual slope on the other. I'm not quite sure which end goes to the muffler.

The top of the muffler rides level with the bottom of the frame. You can see by the photos how the brackets hold the muffler to the frame. I don't know about the slanted ends on the tail pipe. Mine was missing so I purchased a new one from Tom Myers. Both ends are cut straight.

GG.

post-42543-143138610841_thumb.jpg

post-42543-143138610848_thumb.jpg

G, what is the length of the muffler you show and also diam if possible. Looks identical to the original 29 muffler and I have never seen another

Guest DBAcadia

Hi all, I recently reinstalled on my late '26 sportsman the stock exhaust.

The bend under the gas tank is self evident. Place it all together loose

and mount the pipe to the manifold with the muffler attached as directed

in the service manual so that will fit correctly. If you do it otherwise you

will have to keep starting over as there is no way to add the tailpipe

afterward. I had to cut my tailpipe to fit as the long canister was a bit

longer than the tailpipe allowed for the fatter, earlier cannister. Then

tighten the brackets after muscling them to fit. Don't put the brackets on

bassackwards as you'll do like me and start all over once again. I

could send some pics but I think you'll get it. Don't be too discouraged

if it takes three tries. Experience.

• 5 weeks later...

Now that I have the body off I was trying to fit the exhaust system. I'm wondering if I have the right tail pipe. There is no way I can get the tail pipe bracket to line up with the holes in the frame (see pic). I didn't buy the muffler/tailpipe from the same vendor as the pipe going from exhaust manifold to muffler. Maybe this was a mistake....

post-74074-143138642892_thumb.jpg

post-74074-143138642915_thumb.jpg

post-74074-143138642935_thumb.jpg

Mike

I am not sure what those holes in the rear crossmember are for but they are certainly not for a rear exhaust bracket - too close to the centre of the vehicle. There may be three holes in a triangular pattern between the the punched holes in the crossmember just aft of where you have the new bracket in picture two. A forged hanger would have been riveted here.

In any event, to fit the later type hanger you will need to drill two holes in the lip at the front of the crossmember. Put these to the right of the rivet head - the pipe should pass under the wider section between punched holes four and five in your number two photo.