Radial tires on non radial rims

Guest wittenborn

Guest wittenborn

A friend of mine said that using radial tires on rims not designed for this type of tire is courting trouble, especially not using a tube. He said that if the radial tire hits a curb or pot hole it could blow the tire, causing an accident. I've

never had any trouble. Right now I have 15" tubeless radials on a 1948 Plymouth, should I be worrying about a problem? He says there is a website devoted to this "problem." I've been an AACA member since 1961.

Running tubeless radials on my stock 63 Avanti wheels, not a problem.

But, here is an interesting article on the subject. Stress on Tire Rims | Diamond Back Classic White Wall Tires - Vintage Tires - Redline & Redline Radial Tires for Antique and Classic Cars

Very interesting article. Makes me consider more positively switching to the these http://store.cokertire.com/tire-styles/radial-tires/blackwall/550r17-excelsior-stahl-sport-radial.html when my current Denman bias ply tires wear out in a year or so.

Bought a new Chrysler 300 convertible that enjoyed eating tires for breakfast, lunch and dinner. In desperation I put Michelin radials on it (the wheels were the styled steel wheels that was popular then), ran it hard, tripled the tire life and never had any problems. Someone probably is in the business of selling wheels.

I put almost 14,000 miles on my 1960 Buick with a set of radials on it with no problems.

In 30+ years pursuing this hobby, and having grown up a car freak in the late 1960s and 1970s, I've never once heard of a car that originally had bias ply tires with optional radials that had different wheels for the radial-equipped cars. Neither have I heard of any car that had to change it's wheels to allow for factory radials.

Some people do not recommend radials w/o radial innertubes on older rims that do not have "safety rims" for holding tubeless tires on the rim during blowouts. Even that is debatable.

For a good discussion on the subject, see: Radials on Bias ply/inner tube style rims? - THE H.A.M.B.

Let me add my $ .02.

My Mark II made a cacophony of noises as drove down the street, or pulling into my garage. I was constantly losing hubcaps.

My radial tires came dangerously close to the upper balljoint so I had some wheels made by Vintique with a shallower backset, creating some clearance. The new wheels weigh 5 pounds more than the originals. The thicker metal stopped the squeaking cause by sidewall flex and haven't lost a hubcap since.

I ran 15 years on repro firestone tube deluxe champions..and experienced the nostalgia of oldfashioned tires..flats, blow outs wobbles etc...I have had modern Firestone tubeless radials

on it for 6 years and about 6000 miles without incident. These are stock prewar Lincoln-Zephyr steel rims, no air loss or hub issues. I did retain an original spare because the radials are too fat to store properly in trunk..I have had radials on various 60's car with great results..