Rear Axle net torque on a 27 Buick

Old26Buick

You don't want to get extreme on tightening the axle nut. You will drive the hub up on the taper putting undue stress on the hub and next time you want to remove it you will be cussing and fussing about getting the drum off. You can't use standard bolt torque specs because you are not drawing it up to a shoulder. I pulled and replace many Chrysler products rear drums when doing Pennsylvania state inspections twice a year WE used a puller and wacked it with a 4 pound hammer. on tightening, we just used and 18 inch breaker bar and pulled it snug and then tightend to the next cotter key hole. I was only about 90 pounds soaking wet and we never had trouble with a loose drum. The biggest problem I have seen on early Buicks is with damaged keys that don't let the drum pull up on the taper properly. I would guess that about 80 foot pounds of torque on a good taper and key would work just fine.

BOb

The shop manuel says that if you have loose axel nuts on standard models, you could cause a broken axel.

I use a 24 inch crescent wrench with my 168 pounds on the handle to tighten the nuts and have never had a problem getting the hub off the axel using a wheel knocker with the oposite side wheel up off the ground.