A Really Dangerous Prank

cutlasguy

Yesterday I stopped for gas at my local station. I ran my credit card and removed the pump handle as instructed! Then, pump handle in my right hand, I reached over to select the grade and the gas immediatly began spewing out across the pump island and into the next fuel bay! If someone had been there, they would have been soaked or blinded by gas. Someone had hung up the pump handle, squeezed the trigger and engaged the auto feed tab while it was in the cradle! That is what started the pump as soon as the grade was selected! Before I could release it, I had dumped $1.00 worth of gas on the ground! Believe me, I'll be checking for this the next time!

There is supposed to be a safety on the pump to not do that. If the handle is open when you turn on the pump the fuel should not pump out until you release the handle and squeeze it again. You should have reported it to the station.

There is supposed to be a safety on the pump to not do that. If the handle is open when you turn on the pump the fuel should not pump out until you release the handle and squeeze it again. You should have reported it to the station.

Yep this is the way the nozzles are designed, that should not happen if functioning properly.

A year or so ago we had an issue with people putting needles in the handle...leaving you wonder if it was contaminated! I still look at the nozzle before picking up.