source to rebuild air conditioning compressor

Guest my3buicks

Guest my3buicks

Looking for a tried and true bussiness that will rebuild an air conditioning compressor from a 72 Buick. Not looking to swap out - want to keep the original unit to the car and have it rebuilt.

Hey Keith,

I'll second Classic Auto Air. I have had all good experience with them although its been a few years since the last time I had them do a compressor. In the past I sent every major piece of the A/C system to them. They tested and repaired as necessary. I even elected to have them rebuild my original receiver deydrator. They are the only ones (that I personally know of) who actually do the compressor rebuild work on site. I had them do a compressor back before the yellow "OK Buick Test" stamps were available and asked them to make sure they didn't ruin the originial stamp and they accomodated me.

To top it off you can actually talk to a pleasant knowledgeable person on the phone who can answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Keith, I have never had a compressor rebuilt but I failed to heed Willie's advice about rebuilts a few years ago and have recently had to re-address my A/C system again. Expensive stuff.

I just want to point out that my NAPA store got me a NEW A6 style compressor for my 69 GS. And my mechanic had me remove every piece from the car for bench flushing, except the evaporator, plus install an in line filter in the high side liquid line. I have little history to go with right now as I just fixed the system last Tuesday. However I can say this system is much smoother running and cools very well indeed, even with the R 134a and no POA valve adjustment.

Well Ron, sounds like a good plan till you look at the explosion diagram for the compressor. I would suggest a small modification to your suggestion. Put the new A6 on and then carefully remove your old compressors sticker and glue it to the new compressor.

BTW, on the way to Danvers, on an 85 degree day with high humidity, in a red convertible with a black to and interior, my system produced 45 degree temps at 50 MPH, and my wife actually got chilled in the car.

Sounds great, John!

rsd9699, I tend to concur with your "gut kit exchange", but I also suspect that as John suggests, it'd be a good deal easier to repaint and re-decal and re-label the new compressor to look like the one it replaced . . . repro items being what they are these days.

Respectfully,

NTX5467

Guest rsd9699

It takes removing/replacing 4 nuts and 2 o-rings - been doing this for over 25 years - started doing this with a 76 Olds 88 and no problems - just need to clean the old shell. Takes longer to clean the old shell than the actual swap.

Ron

Guest rsd9699

I do not think you can peel a label off and re use it - but I would love to have someone besides myself try it and report back on the success or failure or pitfalls.

Ron

Guest my3buicks

Thanks for the suggestions guys - i believe we will use Classic Auto Air - I talked with them and am very satisfied with what they had to say.

The car is an 11K mile car and a BCA Senior car, so we will go with the original one being rebuilt to stay as close original authenticity as possible.

I don't know how many times it can be done but I did get the original label off the factory installed compressor and put it on the rebuilt compressor I just replaced. I just slid a razor scraper along under it, then cut a piece of aluminum foil to match the size and glued the label to the foil, then glued the foil/label to the compressor. I will next try to scrape it off the rebuilt compressor for installatio9n on the new A6 we just put in.

But what four bolts are you referring to that lets the guts come out so easily? Pictures available?

• 2 weeks later...