89 TC died won't start!

Guest 89MaserTC

Guest 89MaserTC

I'm hoping someone can help me , My car just suddenly died, now won't start. the fuel pump is working, I changed smec, hall effect ,and coil. The asd relay seems to turn on with key , then go off as you turn the key to crank. I unplugged the asd and with key on it goes through various clicks under the hood , then the fan runs briefly, then the clicks start again , in a seeming cycle till fan runs again. Any clues ??? I have always done my own repairs since 1971 but this has me stumped !! SOHC Auto 60,000 miles. Thanks for your input !!! Rick

Guest My TC Toy

Welcome to the thread. Let us know engine and colour of your car.

Have you tried the key diagnostic. This may give you an idea where to start. Just turn your on - off - on - off - on - and count the flashes in the light next to the headlight switch. If you have not done it before be careful counting the bulb flashes, there is a short pause between flash segments.

Let us know what you get.

Bob

Guest 89MaserTC

SOHC / Auto, Red, tan int, black top. First thing I did was check for codes, none but the 55. I have owned this car since 99, and a DOHC / Getrag, yellow , tan int, tan top, since 95, so am very familiar with them, but I'm thinking maybe something weird in the electronics ?

Guest StudeDude 01

Did you did check the timing belt? I notice that a lot of items were examined but did not see that mentioned.

Guest Jim_McNally

From the shop manual, the ASD relay provides power to the fuel pump, ignition, O2 sensor, injectors, etc. It is controlled by the SMEC. If it is indeed turning on then the fuel pump should run and the ignition should fire - do you have a meter or test light to see if there's 12V at the + terminal on the ignition coil with the key on? If the SMEC is turning it on that just means the SMEC is working - the ASD relay gets its power from one of the fusable links. If its not getting power to feed to the other systems, nothing will work.

If the fuel pump is running, then the ASR is working right. If there's no power on the ignition coil or fuel pump, then it's not...

Thanks,

Jim

Guest 89MaserTC

Timing belt is almost new and in time, The ASD is turning on with key on, ASD then turns off power to everything as key is turned to crank, comes back on as key is released.

Guest Jim_McNally

All the power to the ignition switch goes through fuses 2, 9 and 13 - might check all of those. I don't see anything in the wiring that would turn off the ASD relay with the ignition in the start position. Since you changed the SMEC, the other thing I can think of would be to clean the contacts in the big plug to the SMEC - maybe the SMEC isn't getting a signal that the engine is cranking and cuts the ASD? Also check the rest of the fusable links (a pain...) and make sure the battery voltage doesn't drop so low when you crank it that the SMEC / ASD relay drops out... maybe try jumping it from another vehicle to rule the battery out?

Maybe way off base here, but this is very similar to a problem my brother's '89 2.2 TII Shelby Daytona had this spring...He was on his way to work one night when the car just up and died...no warning, no codes, crank but no start...

Come to find out the cam shaft snapped in half. I've lived with these cars since they were new, and I've never heard of a broken cam shaft...been lucky I guess.

TT

(Speaking of luck, I was up in central WI last weekend and got to try out the 'antilock' portion of the brakes for the very first time...to avoid a deer which jumped out in front of us...panic stop from about 45 mph, so car stopped just in time, but blew out a brake line on the front right...I'm hoping the local guy has seen a system like this before...)

Edited by Tony T.
forgot to add (see edit history)

The Web site had a number of brake lines, noe were described as Chrysler TC. I wanted to make sure I was choosing the set that fits the TC.

Is the set listed below going to fit?

Name: 85-89 LeBaron GTS S/S brakelines kit

Part Number: FWD 14-0102

Description:

1985-89 LeBaron GTS brakeline with drum rear brakes. Replaces all 4 outer rubber znjncbrakelines. Made in the USA with high quality stainless steel contruction. DOT approved

Thanks,

Larry