Vintage Hubcap

Guest neilinthegarden

Guest neilinthegarden

Is it possible for any of you knowledgeable people to identify this vintage hubcap for me?

Thanks loads...

Neil

San Francisco

post-77110-143138590815_thumb.jpg

post-77110-143138590818_thumb.jpg

post-77110-14313859082_thumb.jpg

Guest Old48Truck
The second one is an aftermarket called a spider.

Aren't all three pictures of the same cap?

Guest neilinthegarden

Yes, they're all the same cap; I only have the one. The pics are: the front from head on, the front from an angle, and then the back. The "bullet" screws on to the cap from the back with three hex screws. And the "lugnuts" screw on from the back with larger hex screws. And, the bottom edge of the lugnuts are formed at an angle to conform exactly (and fit only one way) to the beveled shape of the cap so that they stand straight out. So they're not just extra geegaws some guy fished out of the parts drawer and got cute with; they're certainly purpose-made for this specific cap.

It looks to me like something made up in the late fifties for a custom car. Guys would buy bullets, drawer knobs, spinners etc and bolt them to their hubcaps, this was before mag wheels came in.

ON THE MONEY!

Not a stock item.

Guest neilinthegarden
purpose made by a guy with a disc grinder. Likely an auto body repair man.

Actually, nothing at all like it. When the "lugs" are removed by taking out the hex screws it's immediately apparent they were never actual lug nuts, but manufactured metal fakes meant to fool the casual observer. The insides have little struts that hold the female screw receiver so its unmistakeably factory molded in one part for this application or one like it. See attached photos.

Neil

post-77110-143138594419_thumb.jpg

post-77110-143138594421_thumb.jpg

post-77110-143138594422_thumb.jpg