1946 GRILL TOP BAR?

smithbrother

I'm sorry if this has been covered, PROBABLY HAS, but need to know, search didn't help.

Last week I purchased a like new complete 46 grill and backing frame for $100.00. I expect to make an art piece out of it, but will NOT alter it in any way. My question is, I have noted several pictures of the top bar as being smooth, mine has RIBS/PEAKS that match the vertical bars/teeth, and wonder if this was a mid/late year change by Buick?

Thank You for hearing me out.

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

Let me ask my question another way..................

Were there TWO DIFFERENT grill TOP bars used during the 1946 production year? One is SMOOTH, the other has RIBS/PEAKS that match up to the points of the vertical bars/teeth of the grill.

I would suggest that SOMEONE has the answer to this question.

Thank You,

Dale in Indy

On Ebay there are several 1946 Buick grill TOP BARS listed. One is just like mine, it has RIBS, or PEAKS that match up with the teeth of the actual grill bars. The OTHER listings show the TOP BAR WITHOUT these RIBS, and I am trying to learn why the difference.

See Ebay listing #370416471414 for picture of the RIBBED STYLE

See Ebay listing #400123757776 for picture of SMOOTH not ribbed sytle.

Thank you,

Dale in Indy

I checked the pictures in my parts book and found the answer to your question. The "ribbed" version of the top bar is correct for 1946. The "smooth" version of the top bar is correct for 1942. The seller of the "smooth" one has his part misidentified. Hope this solves the mystery for you.

Guest DaveCorbin

Parts Book in group 1.267 lists as follows:

1393512 1942

1328844 1946

1331750 1947,1948, 1949-40 series

At least they're different part numbers in different years, but no mention of mid year changes.

Regards, Dave Corbin

There are at least 3 grill top bars listed on Ebay that are SMOOTH, no ribs, and each claim it to be for a 1946 Buick. Makes me wonder if Buick carried over lots of the 42 parts, and early production used the SMOOTH version?

I would love to know why these folks feel their SMOOTH version is a 46 part. Doesn't make sense that all of them would be wrong in their listing.

I have written a couple of the sellers, and they stick to the statement, THAT THEIR PIECE IS A 46 TOP BAR.

Thanks,

Dale in Indy

I just received word from the Ebayer that has 3 grill top bars listed as 1946, and after pointing out that his could be 1942 pieces, he checked, and agrees that he made a mistake and they are indeed 1942 pieces.

Finally the confusion has been cleared. Thank You Dave, and 48Super for your input.

Case closed, LOL.

Dale in Indy

• 3 months later...