Vintage roof cover

Guest Skip Jordan

Guest Skip Jordan

I never knew that. Incredibly interesting. Would this create any special attention to the headliner? I ask this because I am embarking on a build of the model below...

d5c3_3copy.jpg

Guest Skip Jordan

Thank you, gentlemen. I appreciate your responses. For the record, the kit I am using is based on the 1937 Phantom III below, which was owned for many years by aircraft designer Ed Swearingen in San Antonio and is currently in the Toyota Museum in Nagoya, Japan. This is Freestone and Webb coachwork, which is extremely hard to find reference on. Though F&W built nearly 200 bodies for the Phantom II, they provided only 14 bodies for the Phantom III, based largely on the financial imprudence of Mr. Freestone, who drove the company into bankruptcy.

Picture4.png

Surely the reason for the fabric roof section is to allow the body to flex with the chassis and more importantly to minimise the drumming of the roof. By the time all steel bodies came around chassis were stiffer and also builders had worked out how to make an all steel roof that didn't drum.