Headlight bulbs

Guest MidTNDawg

Guest MidTNDawg
Headlight? Taillight?

Hey, John. Please note the topic heading. Headlight bulbs. I kinda thought that would ID things. LOL How are you? I too did not get to this years convention. Long story but my son was unable to get his truck to me so I really had no tow vehicle I could be gone with for several days.

Guest MidTNDawg

There is no number i.e. 1157. I am wondering if these are the originals. No printing at all but stamped in the base is 6V 50/32 cp The bayonet base has the pins at the same height wfich is different and for a memory that has to go back far too many years, it seems I recall the bases of later 1930's headlight bulbs being a little larger than this one. But that may be faulty recall rather than fact.

Hey, John. Please note the topic heading. Headlight bulbs. I kinda thought that would ID things. LOL How are you? I too did not get to this years convention. Long story but my son was unable to get his truck to me so I really had no tow vehicle I could be gone with for several days.

Sorry Doug....senior moment or brain fart, not sure which. Are either of these the type of bulb you are looking for?

post-37352-143138584424_thumb.jpg

Guest MidTNDawg

hey John. I surely wish I did not understand the term "senior moment", but I do and all too well I should add. The "flat" bulb on the left looks just like mine. I did not think about putting a picture in my post. The other bulb has a number which appears to be 1110. Is this correct? I am not so much concerned about how bright, as I am having lights, so I don't draw law enforcement attention.

Guest MidTNDawg

Thanks fellows for all the replies. I know a lot more now. I will be doing some individual responses later.

I've been looking to pick up some spares, too, so this thread is timely.

#1188-6 is what matches what I have in my headlights now. Restoration Supply lists their 6V ELE151 (50/32 candlepower for $6) as a match, while Ron Frances list their B-1125 (125/75 candlepower for $14.95) as a much brighter (halogen-like) replacement. However they don't say whether it's a 6V or a 12V, so I need to ask them.

Questions I have are:

1. Has anyone tried the brighter bulbs. Do they really make a big difference and do they last as long. Are they worth the extra cost?

2. Will a 12V bulb work in a 6V system? I would assume that would affect the candlepower output?

Guest MidTNDawg

2. Will a 12V bulb work in a 6V system? I would assume that would affect the candlepower output?

I assume the watts would be 1/2 of 12V based on Ohm's Law. In other words, about the same brightness for 2X the money.

Guest 1930

1188 is the correct bulb, you can see them on e-bay in-frequently and pick up a box of NOS for next to nothing. Ok maybe 20 dollars or so

I assume the watts would be 1/2 of 12V based on Ohm's Law. In other words, about the same brightness for 2X the money.

Without dusting off my old physics text, that's what I was suspecting.

I drive at night so infrequently that a pair of new bulbs would probably outlive me, so it's not a cost issue.

I'm interested in hearing if others have used the extra bright bulbs and think they really do give significant extra safety?

Getting out the silver polish probably wouldn't hurt, either.

Step up to the ELE-095 if you really want to see the road. And for others to see you. I run the originals in the DA sedan, and most of the time I feel like I need a match to see if they're lit. I run Halogens in the Phaeton. No doubt, halogens definitely are the ticket. I didn't buy the ELE-095's cause they are pretty pricey. I just hotrodded a new halogen bulb onto an original base. Pretty easy and 1/3 the price. Before you just up and hotrod your headlights, make sure your wiring and sockets are up to the task. I recommend new wiring and use relays. That way you have the minimum current running thru your dash and your lighting switch. Direct the current to where its going to do you the most good, and that is in the halogen bulb itself. I agree, the better condition your reflector is in, the more light you'll get. Make sure you optimize the bulb for the best focus using the adjusting screw at the back of the lamp. This is fairly critical especially if you decide to engineer your own bulbs. A few millimeters one way or the other can greatly enhance (or diminish) your headlight illumination.

As for running 12v bulbs on 6v- Sure they will last a long time, but forget it. They are so dim , you might as well turn them off.