COMMON SCAM: If you receive a private message from a new member offering a part, make sure to thoroughly verify it. It’s your responsibility to ensure it’s not a scam. Report any suspicious users immediately. ×

identity of 24-47

Guest lex

Hello Folks,

My Buick is stated as 24-41 on the tag on the firewall, but what I find in the copies of an old book (maybe 'the' Buick book?) I suppose it to be the rather archaic 47 model, as the 41 was with rounded rear windows and roof.

1924 is defenitely the year, as it has 4 wheel brakes, the old engine (116) without forced carter ventilation or oil filter, and the narrow 33 inch tyres.

It has right hand drive and was originally supplied to a (the?) director of Guinness in Cork, Ire, as I was told by the chap who bought it there from a fhotographer and imported it to The Netherlands in 1963.

Irish reg was IF4347.

Supplied bij GM Canada, body by Fisher (says plate on stay between the headlamps).

I am interested in any more info about the car.

Please see the pics, as these are mostly self explaining.

Cheers, Lex

post-71984-14313858278_thumb.jpg

post-71984-143138582783_thumb.jpg

post-71984-143138582786_thumb.jpg

post-71984-143138582789_thumb.jpg

post-71984-143138582793_thumb.jpg

It looks like a model 41 to me. In the book Seventy Years of Buick, the model 47 has the rounded corner in the upper rear window, not the model 41. Since this car was built in Canada, it should have "McLaughlin-Buick" indicated somewhere. These Canadian-built Buicks were a little bit different from U.S.-built cars, and sometimes the model numbers can be different. Does it have a wood dashboard? Many of the Canadian cars had wood dashboards, while the U.S. cars had painted metal dashboards.

The September 2010 issue of the Buick Bugle magazine was on the 1925 Buicks and McLaughlin-Buicks, which are very similar to the 1924s.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

Thanks for your reply, Pete.

It seems that two the books have just switched between the models 41 and 47, which makes it even more confusing.

My copy states with the 47 'which still clung to rather archaic line' and with the 41 'a much better styled body'.

From which year dates your book?

No McLaughlin signs found anywhere in or on the car.

The dash is steel.

I found this notepad underneath the rear seat.

Cheers, Lex

post-71984-143138583195_thumb.jpg

post-71984-143138583198_thumb.jpg

Good morning to all!

Here an extract from page 88 of the unknown book, of which I have a few pages made with the old fashioned 'wet' copying process from the 60/70ies.

As this varies from the book Pete mentions, is it only the numbers (41 and 47) that are turned around, or should the description underneath each pic be switched too?

The tag underneath the rear bench seat states type 41 as well.

I really hope that somebody can track something down by the numbers, that would be clearest.

Not that it changes anything about the car, but it is interesting.

Cheers, Lex

post-71984-143138583833_thumb.jpg

I have a 1924 model 35 4cyl.and I have had one more years ago, but the only thing that tells it from Canada is the fire wall plate as shown in Lex first input.No McLaughlin sign,plate or badge on those 4 cyl. cars.

Leif in Sweden.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Lex:

Both serial numbers confirm a very late 1924 or very early 1925 McLaughlin Buick.

The engine number is for a 1924 series 30 Buick which would be a 4 cylinder car. Can you confirm if it is 4 or 6 cylinders?

McLaughlin models and Buick model numbers usually, but not always, match.

I also note that the seat tag is "General Motors, Ltd", which is Canadian, and not "Buick" as a USA car would be.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Edited by DaveCorbin (see edit history)

Hallo Dave,

The engine has 6 cilinders, with the 3 water outlets on top of the head (which means a 'master', I have read somewhere on the forum; but I wouldnt be surprised when 'standard and master' only appeared in later years).

As you can see from the pics, the engine number is stamped on the identity plate as well as on the engine, so I suppose it to be the originally fitted one.

Cheers, Lex

Lex

That page came from " Seventy Years of Buick" by George Hamman. In 1924 Buick only came out with 4 and 6 cylinder engines, The standard 6 motor came out in 1925 when the 4 was dropped. My figures show the 6 cylinder engine numbers for 1924 ranged from 1087630 - 1273001. Your car defenitly looks like model 47 and it says the model 47 was the most expensive model on the 120"wheel base. From your photo,s it looks like your car has the glass divider between driver and passenger which would be the top of the line model on the 120" wheel base. My guess is that being a Canadian Buick and an export there was a difference between the model numbering.

post-64273-14313858654_thumb.jpg

Right Rod, the glass divider with the 1/4 round side glasses is in a good shape; I like all the varnished wood around it, adding much to the archaic style of the car.

Thanks for your answer.

Cheers from Lex

• 4 months later...

Ah, Jerry, that's a positive mesage. Could you give an answer to my questions, possibly with some pics of the car's side and identification plate?

The confusion is caused by the pics and text in the book (see my message of July 2nd). Can you shine a light on that?

Greetings from Lex

My goodness! What a find! I am ecstatic as it is far more rare than you might have imagined. It is in fact a Model 24X-41 ALL PURPOSE SALOON, assembled by General Motors Ltd in The Hyde, Hendon, London NW9 from a McLaughlin kit. It was then shipped to General Motors (Ireland) Ltd of 47 Lower O’Connell Street, Dublin, which was a GM Ltd 'dealer' but actually a GM Corporation subsidiary.

The 1924 models in that range were:

1924 McLAUGHLIN-BUICK MASTER 6 S.W.B. 120” W.B. MODELS:

24-41 5-PASSENGER DOUBLE SERVICE SEDAN

24-44 2-PASSENGER ROADSTER

24-45 5-PASSENGER TOURER

24-47 5-SEATER SEDAN

SERIALS RAN # 87122 TO # 95300?

ENGINE SERIALS # 1087630 TO # 1216200 [FLINT]

AND CHANGE OVER AT AROUND SERIAL # 91200 TO:

ENGINE SERIALS # 0013000 TO # 0017350 [WALKERVILLE?]

The engine number seems to have a variance between the plate: 1165058 and the build plate # 1185058.

It was registered in Cork by the way! There must have been a dealer there. This is only the second GM Ireland car that I have come across...one being a 1922 Chevrolet. What a find!

The build plate is 16 too; it's just a scratch that seems to build an 8.

Yes, it's from Cork ; See my thread from July 1st.

The body is by Fisher; is this the same as the 24-47 had?

From the 1st NL owner I know it had twin folding seats in front of the rear bench. These are now missing.

• 3 years later...

The end of the story?

A year ago someone wanted to buy the car from me. It seemed he really loved the old dutch registration (from1964) and the looks of it. After tough negotiations I sold it with the promise, it would be restored and shown to me once ready.

Having found out most of the special technical arrangements, which have my interest, it was good it went to somebody who liked bodywork.

Recently I saw it  being advertised on the internet for more than twice. I cannot find anything on the pics thas has been altered, apart from a box ont the carrier. Well, that's life.

If anyone wants to have more info on this object, you can contact me per pb, as I stay on this forum out of interest, if you do not mind.

All the best to you, Lex