1950 Buick Special project

Guest Fred Neilson

Guest Fred Neilson

I just inherited my grandparents 1950 Buick Special. They were the original owners and it has been garaged all of it's life. It looks like new but it hasn't been run for 15 years. I have decided to take on this project but need some advice. How should I go about turning over the engine after changing all of the fluids? I have talked to some people who advise putting ATF down the cylinders to free the rings and turning the engine over without the starter. I suspect that old gaskets will be a problem. What else should I watch for ? I just want to get this beauty running in the garage for now.

Disconnect the fuel line at the pump. You dont want any old stale gas to get to your motor, it could gum it for good. Check there is oil in the crankcase.

Take out the spark plugs and squirt some oil down the cylinders. Motor oil or transmission fluid. Marvel Mystery Oil is very good.

When you take out the plugs break them loose and blow compressed air around them to insure no dirt falls in the cylinder.

Take off the valve cover and oil the vale stems.

Turn the engine with your hands by turning the fan. You will have to press down on the belt to make it grab.

Take a hammer and give each valve a light tap. Watch the valves. They should move up and down. If any stick oil them again and pry gently.

Turn the engine a few turns. If it turns easily by hand, try the starter. Lay a rag over the plug holes, oil will shoot out with some force.

See if the oil gauge shows anything. It should if you turn the engine on the starter for 1O seconds or so. Do not turn the starter too much at one time if you are using a 12 volt battery. It can overheat.

Once you have it turning over check the ignition. put the spark plugs back on the wires and see if they fire. If not you will need to clean the points. A shot of electronic cleaner and drag a business card between them.

Once the engine turns freely and you have spark, you can feed some gas to the carb and try to start it. A motorboat gas tank or one off a small engine is good.

That is the basic idea anyway. If it does not turn right away oil it u and let is sit for a few days. In some cases letting the oil soak in for a week or 2 does the trick.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sconnors

Welcome! I have a 1950 Buick Special too and you'll love it!! Plenty of knowledge on this forum and a bunch of great folks. Don't hesitate to drop me a note if you need anything

Welcome aboard

Scott

If a car has been in long storage I like to prime the fuel system by disconnecting the fuel line at the carburetor and connecting my MyTeeVac vacuum pump to the fuel line. I use the brake bleeder bottle and draw fuel from the tank into the bottle. Each time it fills I check the fuel color and contaminants. The first couple of draws will be brown and rusty. If it does not clear up you need to drain the tank.

Doing it this way gets fresh fuel to the carb without cranking the dry engine as well.

Bernie