Experience with PJ1 Epxoy Paint (Clear)?.

1957Birdman

Has anyone had any experience with this product? I am looking for something that will give a lasting, durable clearcoat to a restored steering wheel. I would like to have a good idea about it before I use it on my car.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

NickelRoadster,

Thanks for the feedback. I was beginning to wonder if no one has any experience with this. Even though my car only sits out in the sun occasionally, I want something that will last as long as it would have from the factory. Do you have any suggestions on a specific brand of urethene to use?

Thanks,

I just noticed your other post. I don't know if you have any kind of automotive paint experience or not. If you are looking for something simple that you can spray in a can the diamond clear is about as good a product as you will find. For more durability you really should use a catalized urethane clear. This can be found at any automotive body supply or from Eastwood. If spraying this is too daunting of a task for you, I would try to find a bodyshop to at least spray the clear. It is best if your friends with an employee as it would be very easy for the painter to spray your wheel in about 30 seconds right after he paints something else. This should give you a finish that will be fairly durable.

I just noticed your other post. I don't know if you have any kind of automotive paint experience or not. If you are looking for something simple that you can spray in a can the diamond clear is about as good a product as you will find. For more durability you really should use a catalized urethane clear. This can be found at any automotive body supply or from Eastwood. If spraying this is too daunting of a task for you, I would try to find a bodyshop to at least spray the clear. It is best if your friends with an employee as it would be very easy for the painter to spray your wheel in about 30 seconds right after he paints something else. This should give you a finish that will be fairly durable.

Even if you are not friends with the owner or an employee, it might work out. I gave up spray painting when all the easy (old) lacquer paints were restricted here. So when I finished up my wood graining effort on my window garnish moldings I took them to a local auto body and paint shop. Since many/most/all paint jobs are clear coat now, it was no big deal for them to shoot my moldings with the clear coat material the next time they finished off a customer's car. Been a few years now and it has held up well, even the driver window molding that my arm always rests on.

Hey guys, thanks much for all of your responses. I guess what I was looking for is some confirmation of how Ford painted their steering wheels originally. If they just used regular enamel paint then I should be able to get paint from one of the T-Bird parts suppliers that will do the trick. I was less than pleased with the way the Eastwood Diamond Gloss performed. I would have been better off painting it with enamel paint. As for its durability, my parents owned a 1957 Ford and a 1962 Fairlane that had the painted steering wheels and neither one of them was showing black when the cars were traded in. I will take my chances on it since I put about 800 miles a year on my car and don't keep a "death grip" on the steering wheel. I will also consider having a body shop shoot clearcoat on it. I am not setup to do paint work at this time, unless it is in a can. Maybe someday...