1926-1927 Headlight Tie-Rod

For lack of a better term I will call it a headlight tie-rod! After years of searching and missing out on auctions I have decided to add "Blacksmith" to my list of occupations other than Machinist. Does anyone have a drawing of this rod with all dimensions that I could get a copy of? Maybe some close-up photos with measurments? :)

Looks simple to make but I don't have a sample to work from. Many thanks guys!

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

If memory serves me correctly the ends are 3/8 fine thread and the rod diameter is the same. Takes a 9/16 socket or wrench. The rod is bend at right angles and has a washer built into it on each end in front of the headlight base. I'll get more details tonite.

It is a 7/16" rod, with 3/8" fine thread. From the flat washer stop to the end of threads is approx. 2". Overall width outside to outside is 35 1/8", from tip of threads to outside of the bend is 2 7/8". They seem to vary ever so slightly in overall width, maybe bent a little or stretched? I would measure your car at the headlight mounts to double check, but if your fenders are sagging any you might want to pull them up a bit with the headlight bar if ya know what I mean. I was going to take a pic or 2 but the batteries are dead in the camera :(

I also have another one that is not original. It has 7/16" threads. I had to relieve the hole in the headlight mount just a touch for the rod to go through, so that works if you don't want to turn down the end to 3/8".

Edited by dwollam (see edit history)

See if this helps. The rod on may 27 Dodge is closer to 36" to outside of bend, but as the other person stated it is best to make to your measurements. Pictures attach that may help.

post-31856-143138582795_thumb.jpg

post-31856-1431385828_thumb.jpg

Great photos hwellens! Looks like the ends are turned down to 3/8" and uses that shoulder for a tight fitting washer to go up against. I am guessing the radius of the bend is 1/2" and the washer diameter is 3/4".

I need to make two of these. One will be stainless for the hotrod 4-door and the other one will be #1025 cold rolled for the Coupe.

If you guys can confirm the washer diameter and radius I will draw this up in AutoCad and post the print here on the forum.

Bill