Dissection of 1931 transmission...

keiser31

Does anyone here have a shop manual for a standard 3-speed transmission similar to a 1931 transmission? I need to dissect mine, but want to do it in the correct order so as not to screw things up. Thanks.

post-37352-143138569666_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I have had this book 25 plus years from when I was in trade school. It will tell you more than you would want to know about manual transmissions.

It dosent matter if they are 3 or 4 speed, internally they are very similar. If you would like to borrow it than let me know, I havent cracked it open since then.

post-48869-143138569675_thumb.jpg

Jason...thanks for the offer. I have decided to go at it today with reckless abandon and just start taking it apart. I will remove the top with the shifter handle and e-brake handle first and then remove the rear casting to get at the seal. We'll see if I can match a new seal up with the old one. I think that the insides of the transmission are o.k. as far as the gears and shafts...I know for a fact that the rear seal leaks so I will replace that, at least.

This one gear on the left does NOT look good. I cannot imagine that it is supposed to be stepped...and in my book the gears have angled teeth...in the transmission they are straight???!!!

post-37352-143138570351_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138570359_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138570367_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Relax; you are have the pre syncro straight cut gear transmission and from here it looks ok, the gears are supposed to look like that. Your illustration is of a later helical geared trans.

Thanks...I just went out there again and shifted it into and out of gear and can now see that all is o.k. with the gears. I was having another brain fart and was mystified for a minute. Looks like since there are no pieces in the bottom of the trans, I will simply replace the gear oil and the rear seal like I had intended and put that baby back together!

You got me. The drive shaft hub slides into the end of the transmission, but there is nothing to keep the gear oil from coming out. I wondered why it was so messy. I would think that there would be a seal....

post-37352-143138570702_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138570711_thumb.jpg

post-37352-14313857072_thumb.jpg

I said ball I meant bell,I think you will find out that the bell of your spicer is lubricated with the same fluid that is in your tranny

John...The rear shaft seal is located in the transmission brake support housing that you have taken off the main transmission housing. The seal runs on the OD of the mainshaft flange/brake drum spline.

Bill

The edge that you are talking about seems to have a hard surface that rubs against the shaft spline and no rubber seal at all. You can probably see the shiny part of the shaft...

Dear John,

You do have a seal, it is a felt seal. It very well could be the factory installed seal. They didn't have rubber seals back then. Please see picture.

Evidently, the felt seal is gone because there is only a very hard surface mating to the shaft.

We have a local place here in Spokane that I take parts to (the ones in your picture) and they look for a modern replacement. I've done this with the seal you are looking for as well as seals on my rear axle. I usually will remove what is left of the leather seal and take that as well. The local place here is Brown Bearing.

91150d1308235505-dissection-1931-transmission-picture-206699.jpg

Or are you talking about the oil that leaks through the splines?

Bill

Sorry, I did not get back to you on this, Bill. No, actually I was meaning the outside of the shaft/hub unit and the supposed seal that presses into the end cover.

No problem, just wanted to make sure I wasn't barking up the wrong. Those old felt seals

can get hard as a rock after many years of absorbing dirt and grimy oil!

Well, if this one is felt, it's definitely been petrified. It feels like steel!

• 4 weeks later...

Minor update...got the transmission rear seal picked up (had to go get it myself 'cause the trans guy had no time to do it), took it to the trans guy and he installed it for free.

The seal was $14.30 and is an SKF #17386/CRW1 R. Hopefully, I will be able to make my gasket, reassemble the transmission and finally get my car together. Still got a ways to go since it has been sitting and the master cylinder needs attention.

post-37352-143138599128_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138599138_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138599146_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138599154_thumb.jpg

• 12 years later...

I need to remove the transmission from a 1931 Model 90.  I have all the bolts off and it moves out about 1/4".  What do I need to do to slide it out?  Are there bolts attached to the flywheel?  Yes, I am a newbie.  

14 hours ago, RUF said:

I need to remove the transmission from a 1931 Model 90.  I have all the bolts off and it moves out about 1/4".  What do I need to do to slide it out?  Are there bolts attached to the flywheel?  Yes, I am a newbie.  

You have another post in the Buick section for the same car. In both cases, you need to start your own post in the correct section instead of coming in at the end of old post. While more than likely both Dodge and Buick would be removed the same way, there might be something that could be holding yours up that would be different then if it were a Dodge. 

You don't say in either post if the engine is in or out of the car. Fairly sure in either case, the bellhousing would have to come off to remove the transmission. Is that what is un-bolted? I would suggest filling in those blanks when you start a new posting. Best of luck. 

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)